Sobriety Bad Advice

Wow. I, honestly, wish someone had told me when I was 19 that I had a problem with alcohol. It may have helped more than my foolish ideas about how heavy drinking was just apart of youth.

The problem with not treating addiction like a disease is that we - the addicts - often believe what we are told. For years I saw my alcoholism and compulsions as nothing more than choices I had complete control over. That also meant I thought I could stop at anytime I want and I was just choosing not to stop. It took years of therapy to understand I wasn't in complete control. I really wish people saw the illness of addictions for what they are, so we can have a more open conversation about it in society, and maybe save several million young people from living through the shame so many of us already have.

Advice-”Just Stay Positive!”

Reply- “Just stay positive, I never thought of it like that! My God, you really hit the nail on the head, you have literally revolutionized the mental health industry with those words! Every text book will now be rewritten because of your advice!”

Admit that you are powerless over your addiction.

:rofl: yes!

You made the choice now deal with it

I had a sponsor tell me don't date get a hooker

Wow! I can't believe you were encouraged to break the law!

Would dealing with it be what you are doing? AA and rehab sure don't seem like you avoid it.

"you're not an alcoholic. Alcoholics drink everyday."

Me: I did. I even went to school drunk.
" No, alcoholics wake up and like put it in their coffee"
Me"...yea i would do that"

"No youre not an alcoholic cause i know you and youre not like that, id know if you were an alcoholic."

-one of my family members when i opened up about being proud of being sober for this long.

Wow thats so ignorant.

Its such an ignorant and rude thing to say. I hear it all the time when it comes to mental health. My family doesnt understand it and even tho they try to understand some of the things they say is frustrating. "Why cant you just be like you used to?" "Why are you mad? Just he calm, be chill" uhm yea didnt think of that thanks.

Oh my word Liz! What's up with our culture? Why are offended when people don't drink? We push each other to drink [alcohol]- but we rarely hear that we should make sure we drink 8 glasses of water or try this new almond milk.