Sobriety Bad Advice

What's the worst piece of advice you received while in sobriety?

1 Like

"You shouldn't have done it in the first place" -church member

1 Like

Insert eye roll.

If you’re ever told that again remind them Jesus went to the cross for everyone.

3 Likes

Not advice just a poorly timed remark - I just don't understand how you could let it get that bad ...

3 Likes

Was told by many people"If you dont go to aa you will 100% fail" well 4 years is coming soon, and the urge to prove them wrong for the rest of my life burns even hotter today

8 Likes

Not advice: but it frustrated me "Why did you stop drinking, you never got a DUI arrested or lost your job?”

3 Likes

As much as it may be true, I still cringe when people say, “maybe you should get a new hobby!” Thanks, genius! Never thought of that one :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Same... Most people tell me I don't have a problem

3 Likes

I've had this issue in aa when I was younger. Because I was comfortable to open up completely with them I felt like I was kinda pushed out.

Wasn't* (won't let me edit my comment sorry)

You might not be an alcoholic!! This person said that because we had different styles of drinking, I was alcohol freefor almost two years at that time, irelapsed shortly after that. Because maybe I wasn’t smh it took me several more years of quitting for 5-30 days before I got to the here and now. 98 days sober

3 Likes

I've never heard that but it would drive me up a wall or want to smack someone :wink:. I think it's also the same as something like, why.dont you just stop at two ", it's not a hobby!

1 Like

That's ridiculous.

The only person who could ever really determine that is yourself.

1 Like

Oh my word! I don't understand folks. :woozy_face:

People need to realize everyone's road to sobriety isn't the same. AA works for some and not others which is OK. I'm proud of you for proving others work. :grin:

2 Likes

:weary: Maybe because you wanted to do better for yourself. I'm sorry people are like that.

I'm lost for words. I'm sorry. :weary:

Hi Nichole. What happened when you tried to edit your post?

Yikes! Things take time. Were you ever informed why you were ever indirectly pushed out? I wonder if they thought you may have been there just to be a seat warmer...