OMG tonight I am painfully aware of why I didn't

OMG tonight I am painfully aware of why I didn't previously stick to sobriety. I can't exercise NEARLY as much patience (or extrovertedness) with humanity without my crutch to hold me up.

Life seems to be getting worse, not better. I can almost guarantee what old me would want right now.

The only thing holding me by a thread is knowing that even old me would regret it tomorrow.

It's like I have to re-learn how to deal with humans! Hardest part by far :sob:

3 Likes

Virtually

1 Like

It feels like it continues to get worse for a while. First because you're hypersensitive. Second because all the people you upset when you were drinking want their pound of flesh. Just be true to yourself and set boundaries. It's totally ok to tell people that you're not equipped to process their issues right now.

4 Likes

Just keep going to the meetingsā€¦ I have learned overtime that just the action Iā€™m doing it worksā€¦ When I first came around I didnā€™t even believe I was an alcoholic but I knew I didnā€™t wanna live the way I was living anymore and I just kept showing up and doing what I had to do.. When the pandemic hit or we could do was show up virtually but that was hard, but I still work atļæ¼ it .. By the grace of god this year I have 16 yearsā€¦ And all I do is show up and take the action as best as I can .. not perfectly.. Sometimes the action is just showing up

2 Likes

I can relate to what you said! I get a lot of anxiety working or dealing with other humans, lol. Seriously though it can be exhausting, I have to work with blokes that just plain shouldn't be working where they are.

1 Like

I feel like im relearning how to be a human. I donā€™t know what your crutch was, but in the absence of mine, I feel like my brain is rebooting. Which it basically is, chemically. And i could never make small talk with people unless I was at least half-drunk anyway. So, youā€™re not alone here. I canā€™t offer any advice other than it probably takes time for all the rewiring to feel beneficial.

2 Likes

Ebbi if the big book is overwhelming or if the style of writing isnā€™t engaging, try Recovery by Russell Brand. It is an interesting, humorous, and sometimes deep recap of the 12 steps. Especially his take on steps 1-3.

1 Like

Dealing with other humans isn't the easiest thing in the world. Learning how to do so will teach you and give you opportunities you wouldn't have otherwise. Stick to it.

1 Like

As they say hindsight is 20/20 we can see all our mistakes so clearly after the fact. Keep the knowledge of what you see and plan accordingly. You got this.

Yes, the anxiety is so high right now.

I've been meditating whenever I'm calm enough to sit still and gaining clarity but still so full of mental & physical anxiety.

Girl Iā€™m right with you.. lord have a short fuse I notice lately. 10 days in. Usually when I get irritated I drink to calm myself then everything is A OK :ok_hand:. Then it turns to shit at times :crazy_face:. Yes learning how to connect with people especially personal life is going to be my challenge!

1 Like

I like ā€œnot equipped to process your issues right nowā€ :rofl::rofl: so using that line!!

Don't put expectations on sobriety, yourself, anyone or anything. Remember that is 10 miles into the woods and ten miles back out. You didn't get this way over night and you're not going to get better overnight. The best advice is above in the comments. Get to some meetings and take things a day at a time. And the fastest way to a solid recovery is to take the steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. And don't do it alone. Get a sponsor

It will take sometime for the feeling of ā€œnormalcyā€ to come back. Try to find a new hobby to keep your mind busy.

I know what it feels Ike to not be ok in your own skin, positive things happen, but the times they are a changing ( Bob dellin)

Ebbing my love ,what would we do with out you ,keeping us straight and in line. Thank you for being here. Remind me that this is not a easy road ...

1 Like

For me the hardest part of being sober, other than not drinking, is the anxiety. Mine is through the roof. Iā€™ve tried many meds but Iā€™m one of those that had the suicidal side effects so Iā€™m afraid to try them again. Iā€™m also super shy in general which is why I started drinking in the first place. Iā€™m really struggling with the sober life in that way.

1 Like

Itā€™s not ā€œlikeā€ that....

Itā€™s EXACTLY that.

Stick to it. It gets better. Gotta work on yourself and not let your old habits run their course minus the alcohol though.

2 Likes

I'm a recovering alcoholic and drug addict and sober for 28 years I know you think it's hard the first 3 months for the worst for me I shook so bad I couldn't even sign my name just stick with it and remember it's not only a physical addiction but it's a mind addiction too and if you put it in your mind that you're not going to fall off the wagon you most likely won't but if you do get back up on that wagon and drive it like you own it it took me many tries before I finally got sober you have to want to do it for yourself nobody else but yourself that's the only way it worked for me no 12 step program no na no AA just straight up mind control your mind controls your whole body the physical withdrawals will go away and soon you'll be looking at other drunks and drug addicts and say no wonder everybody told me I had a drinking problem I used to say I don't have a drinking problem you have a problem with me drinking so you need to get help but once I got sober and realized how aggravating I was and how much of an asshole I was when I was drinking and on drugs I see what they were talking about but don't give up on yourself there's a good life on the other side of your addiction just waiting for you

1 Like