New to this app, newly sober (again), in active withdrawal

New to this app, newly sober (again), in active withdrawal, and struggling. What gave you hope when you had none?

7 Likes

Asmo, thank you so much. I really needed to hear all this tonight and I appreciate your wisdom about knowing people are rooting for me. Yeah, youā€™re totally right that the anxiety and guilt and just general headgame of it all is the worst part and feels like it gets harder each time (this is my third detox, ugh). You would think with practice it gets easier and in a way maybe it does, but the hope is in shorter supply because I feel like triple the failure, if that makes any sense. But just getting a response to night means a lot to me, so thank youuuuu for your kindness :blue_heart:

1 Like

Elizabeth it took me 25 years to get 30 days. And now I have 390. Detox is your disease trying to convince you that itā€™s the cure. If your DOC is alcohol youā€™ve got 4 rough days and then you have to get your ass to 90 meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor who will hold you accountable until you can take over that job for her.

You can do it. Upstate NY unite. I spent 4 years in the north country.

1 Like

Word, Craig, and congrats on your 390 days! Thatā€™s huge. The North Country is the bomb and Iā€™d love to hear more about what your time here was like. Thank you for the advice, kindnesses, and profile pic of a truly badass dog. That beauty is royalty

Elizabeth I just started my recovery this week from alcohol and itā€™s been tough with the withdrawal. No sleep, so much anxiety but everday is getting better. Have hope and focus on what matters most to you!

Hey, congrats to you, Philip. This is NOT easy and we CAN do it. Letā€™s hang in there together. Iā€™ve decided to believe that fighting this makes you not weak, but a warrior. It takes real strength to detox and function through anxiety and sleeplessness, and here we are, functioning and getting better. Thank you for reaching out when I really needed it. Hope to keep hearing from you. :yellow_heart:

You are giving me hope , this is tough what your doing , hold on get to a meeting when possible and know your loved

Iā€™m from the Albany area and went to college at St Lawrence in Canton. Such beautiful country up there. Driving through the ā€˜Dacks in the fall. 1000 islands in the St Lawrence river. All the fun little old towns. And all the drinking back when it was fun and not a crippling act of shame and remorse. Aah, but havenā€™t really been back since 1996 or so. Graduated in 95 and dated a girl there the next year so I still went up once a month or so.

I never made it to Plattsburgh though. I hade several friends who went to school there though.

Oh, and my pup is Keeper. I got him just a couple days after I got sober. Heā€™s the best!! But donā€™t tell his sister I said that.

Go Elizabeth!

1 Like

Keeper is a great name, and what a wonderful sober companion. Animals always tell the truth; I generally dig them more than people. Yeah, the Adirondacks are a lot of fun when substances donā€™t equal remorse, and still beautiful even when they do. I hope youā€™re having a good weekend. My day was better, and thatā€™s enough for me. Sending you a friend request, but no pressure :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this, Tom. I canā€™t tell you what it means. I do believe we can all get through this, and Iā€™m really grateful for this app. Sending you a friend request, please feel free to reach out anytime. Hope and strength to you, always :yellow_heart:

Tom thank you so much. I canā€™t really tell you how much that message means. It came at exactly the right time. Sending you hope and strength right back, and please, if you like, stay in touch

Welcome back! Elizabeth. We are all in this together. :fist_right::boom::fist_left:

1 Like

Itā€™s weird but occasionally I look back to the agony of detox with a fond recollection. I was an idiot and did it without medical attention. I felt like I didnā€™t deserve anyone to care about me. I was obviously insane at the time.

But now I wear that pain and ensuing recovery as a badge of honor. A turning point.

2 Likes

Tom, I didnā€™t mean to blow up your account! This app is being fickle; I kept hitting reply and nothing happened, so then I wrote again, because I really wanted to let you know how much your words meant to me. Lol, maybe the three messages make the point?

Word to that, my friend. Thanks, Michael. I wish a peaceful and beautiful evening

1 Like

You as well.

I laughed out loud at ā€œI was obviously insane at the timeā€ā€” not because it is at all funny, but because it is so resonant. Those feelings are so very real, and I love that you can see your worth now. It IS a badge of honor to get sober. Itā€™s hard @$!;ing work, and it has value in and of itself. And itā€™s inspiring that you can see that madness now for what it is. We all deserve love and care, but man, that forest gets thick for the trees sometimes

1 Like

What gave me hope early on in sobriety was my son! I wanted him back in my life so bad that I had to work hard at sobriety get to see him. It was the most difficult time of my entire life! Going through detox, depression, anxiety and trying to solve all my problems at once. Plus I like to solve the worlds problems too.
What keeps me here, is that spiritual awakening, itā€™s the signs I see everyday that my higher power is not only next to me but going through every path thatā€™s in front of me with me. Itā€™s that feeling I get knowing that Iā€™m better off without alcohol, meth, caffeine or tobacco. Once I became to a level of understanding and can start to show others that what Iā€™m doing in my sobriety works thatā€™s my hope.
Continue down this path of sobriety and working your program to the best of your ability and I can promise you it gets better and better each day. Believe in yourself. Believe in a power greater then yourself. Meditate with that power of your understanding in your thoughts daily.
Have a wonderful day filled with love and peace within.

1 Like