New Hobbies in Sobriety 🤔

Have you picked up any new hobbies after getting sober? Or perhaps reconnected with an old hobby you used to do when you were younger/before you started drinking/using?

While I was still active, I never had the time or energy to do activities that felt meaningful or fun to me. But after having some sober time under my belt, I was able to realize how much I love filming and editing videos on YouTube, doing yoga, and reading super nerdy (but profoundly enlightening) self-help books.

What are your go-to hobbies now that you’re sober? OR what are some you’d like to explore in sobriety?

1 Like

I’ve picked up woodworking again.

3 Likes

No I have not started any hobbies. I have taken up yoga and meditation, but I view that as “self care.” I will keep an open mind about this though, as I believe it's very important to have a balanced life. Thank-you for the question!

2 Likes

Hi! So cool about ur film making. Do u have a youtube channel? I actually picked up a new hobby. I learned ukulele!! https://youtu.be/7OeDgsfLgEw

2 Likes

I am still learning. Got my uke in July! Loving it!

1 Like

I don't have any new ones per se, but I'm playing guitar every day again, which feels great. I'm also biking like 10 miles a day, try doing that when you're wasted!

2 Likes

Uke is so much fun! Once someone told me the bottom three strings are the same as a guitar it was on like Donkey Kong

1 Like

I'm not very talented so I would have to say no lol.. There's a lot of stuff I would LOVE to learn how to do, but I'm sure after I tried, it would turn out looking like a two year old did it :roll_eyes: haha..

3 Likes

I took up surfing in rehab in California. After leaving rehab I decided to move back to Cali from Nashville and love doing more outdoors activities keeping my mind off drinking.

3 Likes

Id love to do kickboxing again lol. Been trying a lot of things again but they dont stick yet. Hopefully soon tho. Love everyones comments!

2 Likes

You may not have found your talent yet. But also if you enjoy doing something and it's fun, passes the time and redirects you when it's needed it doesn't matter if you're “good” at it or not. :)))

1 Like

Drawing… trying to get back into cooking but I think that passion might be gone lol I really want to get back into working out.

1 Like

I long board, play the ukulele, and during pandemic started skim boarding which i hadn’t done since middle school ok.

1 Like

Such a fun easy instrument!

Surfing is on my bucket list

1 Like

I'm trying to get back into working out more too! I only do light yoga now and it's boring me. Maybe we can do a thirty day challenge or something fun like that! Hold each other accountable. Lmk if ur in! My bff and I wanna start a light workout routine monday. I'm looking up free apps and programs and challenges today so I can choose one later.

3 Likes

Oooooof… I'm in :see_no_evil: lol this is def something I need to get me going. Yoga bores me too actually! Im part of a gym but haven't been going cause of the virus. But I have an elliptical at home and weights so I really have no excuse!!

Let me know what you find!!

That’s awesome and a skill I’d love to try out.

Interesting! I see yoga and meditation as part of my self-care practices too.