Does anyone believe that the disease theory of addiction to

Does anyone believe that the disease theory of addiction is outdated.

1 Like

No. It is both a mental and physiological disease which is recognized as such by the medical community, including the American Psychiatric Association. I am currently in school studying to be an addiction counselor, and I will tell you that the evidence of alcohol and drug addiction as a disease we are learning about is stunning. Other addictions are debatable.

6 Likes

What kind of school Matt

1 Like

I have heard that the neuroscience community is backing away from calling it a disease and the AMA is still following 100 year old medicine.

1 Like

It's a behavioral disorder usually coexisting with psychological disorders. Yes the brain's neural pathways and functioning are altered but never beyond reversion back to a normal state. No other unanimously accepted mefical disease exists where one can make the choice to be unaffiliated like addiction. The choice to become unaddicted is not an easy one and usually takes some sort of psychological treatment, but the choice does exist at any time to become unaddicted. Hence, it is not a disease.

5 Likes

One could certainly debate whether it's a disease or that we are just moral failures till we are blue in the face. But there is no such thing as unaddicted, once apickle you can never go back to being a cucumber. Try having just two drinks and walking away from it. And it's a community college.

5 Likes

Define Addicted Matt.

2 Likes

physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects.

According to Google this it what the word means.

It is possible to be unaddicted.

See I disagree with the idea of un addicted. Here is why. I have a friend who has been clean from cocain for 25 years. First thing he thinks about in the morning...cocain. last thing he thinks about when he goes to bed...you guessed it cocain. His mind still craves it daily. Now that sounds like he is still addicted. He doesn't use, but the drive to is still there.

1 Like

Because he thought him self to believe that he has a life long disease. Does he? Perhaps, but only a small percentage of people who have addiction problems have life long relapsing disorders.

In many ways, alcoholism and other addictions are coping mechanisms for people with mental health disorders such as, but not limited to, OCD, bipolar disorder (one and two), traumatic brain injury, PTSD, schizophrenia, borderline, codependency etc.

Addictions can be inherited and or learned behaviors. A virus is a disease as it has unwanted side effects that you struggle to heal from, though it may never heal. It's irrelevant in any case whether it's an addiction or not. What's relevant is the ability to treat such impairments...

I don’t agree with stating we’re addicts at every meeting. That feels like keeping one foot in the problem and one foot in the solution. Simply by attending the meeting we’re aware why we’re going. I’m more about moving forward - don’t need to hear continued drunkalogs. Would prefer hearing how people are living healthy lifestyles today and tomorrow.
The guy Steve mentions might be a good example of why I believe this.

2 Likes

Define disease please.

The definition of disease begins with "a disorder in structure or function".... The structure and function of the brain only appear to be negatively impacted by addiction or substance abuse. When in fact the brain continues to function normally but its reaction to what we are bombarded or with is what results in the negative effects of addiction. The pleasure and reward systems dont stop working when we abuse a substance, they simply prioritize the substance. That is still a healthy functioning brain. It is simply attempting to process toxins at an accelerated rate. Once the influx of that toxin stops, the brain reverts to prioritizing healthy, nontoxic pleasures. Once we choose to take those steps, we start to recover.

One thing for sure, the people suffering from it probably don’t give a fuck what you call it. But, good debate.

5 Likes

Agreed, Gary.

It sure is reassuring to see there were so many experts on the subject on this app

1 Like

The people suffering from addiction should very much care as it is relevant to the type of treatment they obtain for the addiction. For example, if they become treated through the disease module they would be programming their minds in such a way that would cause them to have no termination to treatment, where other treatment modules would.

Its very important for people to understand their ability to return to self sufficiency once the addiction is behind them. Self reliance vs. Permanent God Reliance for abstinence..

1 Like

You can question my beliefs, it does not cause me to waiver in my faith.
My mother was a drug addicted San Francisco hippie ( no offense) who drugged heavily while pregnant both with my sister and I. Both of us were born with terrible behavioral problems and some physical. I started drinking and drugging very young. Couldn't stop for something or anything. I lost and destroyed everything, and everyone in my way.
It took both my acceptance of my problem, a resignation that I cannot quit on my own. And a belief in a higher power whom I call God to help me. Because I had not the strength, desire or ability to quit on my own. I have been sober 30 years and 3 months. I will take my "personal God reliance over your self reliance any day. That is what I believe and stand on. It would be a very dangerous thing for me to drink again for all. So do I believe it is a disease? Arguments can be made both ways I think -just to be fair. I personally don't know anyone who was successful, without help from a higher power. Are you an addict or alcoholic Thomas.?

2 Likes