Does anyone believe that the disease theory of addiction to

I am a recovering from an alcohol addiction.

I agree with you Gary.

I can argue both sides but it doesn't matter to me what you believe, think or can prove. Your story is much different than mine and visa versa.

I didn't have a specific label until I allowed myself to say it. No one asked me "do you prefer addict or alcoholic? We're trying to guess why your life is falling apart." :sweat_smile:

Really

Nope

The original purpose of including spirituality in the AA program was to include moral psychology in the treatment.

Well let me write that down.

What part?

Addiction affects my thinking. That's where it all starts. It's not about "addictive substances per se." Since I am an addict, albeit recovering, I can get addicted to anything. Drugs, including alcohol, are the most dangerous things for me. I can tell you from past experience that taking Suboxone prevented me from getting "a high" from heroin, but it didn't help me from thinking about heroin and using. Nothing that I've tried so far has helped me like working the NA program. The fact that I own a tablet from which I can type this response all the way to the meal I will eat shortly to the bed I will sleep in to my job are the fruits of the 12 Steps. Whether addiction is a a disease or not doesn't really matter to me. I was never comfortable with that term anyway, but I've just accepted it. I do know that addiction affects my thinking and that's also how I know that addiction is incurable. It's incurable because as long as I live I'll be thinking. My addiction is simply arrested a day at a time. It takes abstinence along with the 12 Steps of NA for this recovering addict. To the gentleman above who thinks that meetings are all about "drug a logs," you sir, haven't been to very many meetings. :blush::statue_of_liberty:

No. Once you have opened those paths in your brain it's forever.

Y'all are really going to confuse many people in Recovery.
My disease had it's way for far to long. I took back control over 3 years ago and not for a minute would I trust I can drink normally again. That's my program and it's kept me sober.

I believe that it’s less understood as a disease and viewed more as a criminal/delinquent behavior. I believe that the general public’s perspective on addiction disrupts any sort of healthy evolution of theory and causes is to neglect psychoeducation on the subject.

That's simply not true. Neuroplasticity allows for the brain and its neural pathways to bend away from and back towards it's natural state. And I giving people with addiction issues options in recovery is a good thing. Not everyone benefits from accepting the notion of powerlessness and a lifetime of struggling to sober. Some of us yearn for self-empowerment and a way to overcome our addictions to go on and live a life that doesn't revolve around recovery and a daily effort to stay sober. There is plenty of room in the world of addiction care for more than one approach. What works for some might not work for others. We deserve options if one is not a right fit.

1 Like

Nice Point Todo!

1 Like

In my State alone, there is a 500 Billion Dollar per year Industry in addictive substances that would love to grow.

I see it as a competing factor to recovery.

1 Like

Behavioral health problem in my opinion.
Compulsive behavior in response to obsessive thoughts.

1 Like

Great question, great replys!

I live in Thornton too Thomas. And I assume you’re talking about weed?

Haha I agree. I’m not philosopher but it doesn’t matter “whose fault it is,” if it’s a disease or choice- it’s difficult when you are suffering from it. The conversation should evolve into what helps people feel better about their realities and stop treating everything as if there is an objective truth pinned on every individual.

Well said man. I do not accept “the repent for my past” approach as people have a right and will to change. I do not dredge up the fact I am an alcoholic everyday- in fact I do the opposite. I am now a empathic, sharp, loving-son, brother and boyfriend. Addiction is a complex fortress but outside it’s walls is a much bigger world worthy of so much more attention.

Right on let’s stop labeling