Difficult Trigger

What’s a difficult trigger you had to overcome in the last 6 months? How did you do it?

2 Likes

Seeing people smoke on a show or movie :smoking:. Odd thing is I don't crave the cigarette. I crave the high I got from drinking and then having a cigarette.

Glad I got thru Mad Men a long time ago :wink:. I can make it through it but just prefer to avoid anything with smoking as a constant theme ...

2 Likes

I went to buy Tylenol and when I went to pay the girl had a pint of wiskey waiting for me

1 Like

Loneliness. This is probably the biggest reason I drank before I got sober. I have not overcome it, it is still a major part of my life. Divorced from a loveless marriage, I am not sure how or where to meet someone else.

5 Likes

Everything is a trigger when I have the urge to drink...but for the most part being alone (loneliness)

2 Likes

The end of a stressful work day 2 hours bf days end...I try to walk around and sing loudly...

Yea. That would be hard for me if I stopped at a gas station with hard liquor. I sadly started going to 3 different package stores on rotation so it didn't look like I was there every other day buying a handle.

Stay healthy and strong because today is much better than yesterday :muscle: :yellow_heart::v:

Thinking about gathering with friends. Literally, trying to drum up the idea of excitement with a group of people. Where and how to have “fun” if not drinking at a bar or restaurant... or anywhere without alcohol? I have very few experiences of being with groups of people without tempering the anxiety of it with alcohol. People are my trigger lol I’m so empathetic that being around certain types of them or certain combinations of them can be so emotionally draining or uncomfortable. Historically, under such circumstances I would numb myself so I could tolerate it. The learned association and lack of alternative experience(s) still remains and so I struggle with this. Isolation isn’t a solution. That’s why I know I need like-minded community.

5 Likes

My husband is like you in avoiding cigarettes. I know part of it is because he had to avoid it. His dad is allergic to cigarette smoke. My husband hates the smell; and it is a major turn off. Before we met, if he thought a girl was attractive and he learned she smoked: she was no longer attractive.

Wow! I'm speechless for two reasons. One, that happened to you. Two, the lady had alcohol waiting for you when you were buying Tylenol. The 2 don't mix.

I'm sorry Greg. :disappointed:

We have a dating section. Let me know if you need help figuring it out.

Loneliness is a common trigger for all us sober folks. It's frustrating for sure. Be encouraged.

2 Likes

Do it! Some days I sing in my car with my music playing blaring. It's relaxing.

1 Like

How did you quit smoking ?

Trying it, seems like not many in a 100 mile radius.who are at least older than my kids. It is still kind of confusing, not sure how it works. Not sure how any of this digital stuff works. I remember when we actually met people, not just profiles.

If you are interested in someone tap the heart :heart:on the profile. Tap the X if you're not interested.

If someone likes your profile and you like their profile you'll be able to send each other messages.

I, too, miss the in person interactions.

Wow, great topic! I quit nicotine several months ago. I was a smoker that transitioned to vaping. I LOVED vaping, especially with a cup of coffee. Initially, I used a patch. I went to meetings and shared about wanting to quit and get off nicotine. I definitely vaped much more than I smoked. Vaping is easier to get away with, so I exploited that fact. Anyway, I have stopped vaping and using nicotine for several months now. It was difficult for sure. When that feeling/desire came I just told myself that it would pass, that I'd be happier without vaping, that my health would improve, etc. Luckily, I have a big support system. I must remember to use that support system. Thanks everyone for sharing on this thread.

That's how I thought it worked, just not many people in my area I guess.

Loneliness and depression, combined with self pity. Those are my weak spots. A relapse always starts in the mind, and my demons want me alone. I stay busy by setting tangible personal goals involving tangible commitments. It gets me outside of myself and gives me a sense of purpose. And I have to keep praying. My demons tell me it's too late, my mind went to the dark side already and my Higher Power doesn't want to hear from me anymore. But that is the big lie to get me alone. And thank God we still have in person AA meetings where I live.

2 Likes

In Jason's recovery, Jason's biggest trigger is Jason. People, places, things, situations are merely stimuli. If I look inward the translation is personal growth. Personal growth is spiritual and spirituality I crave. :sunglasses: