When u have the urge to drink, what do you

When u have the urge to drink, what do you do?

Been struggling with this lately. I usually reach out to someone about it. Lately tho, no one really replies or you can tell theyre tired of hearing me say the same thing all the time “I want to drink lol help”. Ive recently been trying to just sit with the idea. And have the whole scene in my head play thru til the end. And I check in with my values. And i realize it contradicts. Im forced to see my consequences of drinking or how i will feel instead of the impulse to drink. Not even in a shameful way, just in a way to put how i want my life to be into perspective. Im at a different point in my journey to say I try harder to shape a life i want. Idk if that helps at all for you. Sometimes writing things down or thinking of what really bothers you helps.

1 Like

I remind myself of what waits at the bottom of that bottle.

1 Like

U seem to be an amazing person and I commend you for that! you did help out a lot, makes me really think about my life

1 Like

I tell someone. And sometimes I play music or sing if I'm in the right space for it. Or I find a virtual meeting. I guess now I would come on here like u did.

1 Like

I like to remind myself how’ve far I’ve come and how proud I am of myself for once. I used to minimize a lot of my own successes and brush of compliments. It reminded me how probably disingenuous my praises of other people came off — definitely never meant to. So how could any ever really believe me when I say you’re doing great or awesome congrats. Just didn’t love myself clearly. Right now, I am proud of myself and love myself and I love feeling that way. If I drank, I’d had to do it over again. It already took a lot out of me just to get to day 29. If I’m saying anything that at all lol, I’m saying I know what I’m fighting for, liking and loving myself so I can love my friends and family the way they deserve.

2 Likes

Do you have a sponsor Liz? A good sponsor should be your first line of defense.

Some people say a sponsor is just there to run you through the steps but any time I get itchy he is the first call I make.

And what you're talking about with people getting sick of hearing about it, are you sure that's true? I know I personally would never get sick of my friends reaching out for help if they're struggling with addiction. I'm sure I can't speak for everyone, but that's also why it's good to have lots of people in your network. I had to talk to four different people including someone on this site and my therapist today but that's what it takes sometimes. Anything is preferable to drinking.

Also meetings, also step work, coping mechanisms, all this stuff combines to give you a toolbox to draw from. There's no one answer and some things work better for some people than others.