What are your unhelpful beliefs?

What are your unhelpful beliefs? Why do you still have them? No one can let go of them for you. Make a deliberate decision to let them go now. :balloon:

2 Likes

By the way, if you're not sure what your unhelpful beliefs are, just think about the areas of your life that you struggle in or want to improve but haven't been able to yet such as confidence, relationships, money, etc. Think about your past experiences with these things and the stories you tell yourself about them. Your life is ultimately a printout of your subconscious beliefs.

2 Likes

Great post to make me think .. thank you! My biggest unhelpful belief is that I don't need anyone .. ever. I know why I have this unhelpful belief ..therapy has helped me figure that one out which is good and I fight it now. Some times I need to fight it way more than other times but I keep trying to let people in as much as I can and admit to when I need help and support.

2 Likes

Oh my this a great question and yet so hard to answer in a succinct way. I think the most unhelpful thinking is this grasping notion that I should be in control and in charge and able to make everything work. Because inevitably, as people and situations have their own separate needs and goals, some things won’t work out how I wanted, and then my disappointment leads back to seeing myself as a failure- failing to win someone’s love or making a sale etc… but I’m trying to loosen up on this idea of what I can and cannot control.

2 Likes

Mine would have to be over thinking. I tend to read into everything and think everyone else does too. I've been working on taking people at their word.

2 Likes

Love this prompt, Kevin! one of my most unhelpful beliefs is, “I can’t…” basically fill in whatever remaining words. My brain will say I can’t workout today, I can’t make it to the meeting, I can’t get my sh!t together. I’ve consciously let go of this defeatist belief whenever I remember to but it takes a lot of mindfulness and comittment !

1 Like

Thanks, Nichole! I'm glad it was helpful and thanks for sharing. We all need help sometimes. Keep making progress and keep reaching out. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Josephine. I know a lot of people feel the same way. It can be painful when our experiences fall short of our expectations or when we try to control uncontrollable things and "fail." It might be helpful to check out some books and quotes by Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, and other stoics to accelerate your process of releasing control and seeing life through a different lens. I have a feeling that you're already on the right path. Keep learning and making progress. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey Bryan, thanks for sharing. You're not alone. Many people struggle with overthinking. Meditation, hypnotherapy, etc.can be helpful. Plus, another helpful strategy to minimize overthinking is to 1) reframe it as a skill/gift instead of a problem/curse, and 2) gamify it.

Turn it into a game to notice when you're overthinking and use overthinking as a cue/trigger/prompt to do something that you really want to do. With consistent practice, this will ignite a habit of metacognition (i.e., thinking about what you're thinking about), and you'll begin to detach from your thoughts and identify with them less.

All habits, whether mental or physical, follow the same loop: cue :arrow_right: routine :arrow_right: reward

Plus, all habits (good or bad) form the same way: they start small, they find a good spot in your routine, and they get strengthened via your emotions. So, when you reframe it, turn it into a game, and include these 3 elements, overthinking can become fuel for self-improvement until it eventually fades away. Give it a try and let me know if it's helpful. :facepunch:

1 Like

Thanks Allie! :slightly_smiling_face: Yes, it does take a lot of mindfulness and commitment!