What are your alternative coping mechanisms to having a drink?

I've been sober 5.75 months after drinking daily for 6 years. I found out today that my ex, who ended things in large part I believe due to my drinking, has a new partner. My immediate reaction was deep despair as I had been planning on trying to reconnect after I hit 6 months. This was immediately followed by the "I need a drink" voice, not that I wanted one, but that I needed one ramming into my brain over and over. I'm strong enough not to, but it's apparent that I don't know how to handle great sadness without thinking about turning back to the bottle. So, my question to you is this, what do you do to cope when something negative happens rather than have a drink?

2 Likes

I’m also trying to figure this out. This is my day one. Congrats on 5 months! I am also starting a counselor. She told me today to really try to slow my thoughts down with breathing. I will also try to exercise or go for a run/walk if I can.

Take it one minute at a time and soon enough you’ll be at that 6 months.

2 Likes

Hey Daniel, A drink never actually makes anything better, but it’ll make just about everything worse.

2 Likes

I take out my feelings through exercise and worship, not sure if you’re Christian but jesus has gotten me through my darkest times. When you’re at the bottom and have no one, he’s always going to be there waiting for you.

4 Likes

I'd suggest reaching out and talking about it with a close mouthed friend or two; two (or more) minds are better than one! Maybe get out and be of service to someone else; that almost always helps get my mind off the hamster wheel. Go do something you enjoy - anything but take that first drink! Congrats on your sober time!

1 Like

Just remember, your sobriety is not dependant on the actions of others. And that we get to FEEL our feelings in sobriety. Good and bad. :smirk: Consider these feelings as an indicator of your own healing. But don't pick up! Great suggestions in the other posts. I would add get to a meeting or at the very least, read page 417 in the big book. Best wishes!

1 Like

Pretty good advice here, at least I would think so if these comments were directed toward me in the same situation. I'd follow these tips and don't give in to the alcohol that is only trying to make it worse for you.

Grief has always been a huge trigger. Even for those who don't have our problem. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard people getting sloppy drunk over loss. The drive to immediately stop feeling that pain and the void that accompanies it is a major force. Last time that hit me I went hiking. As far from anything that sells alcohol as o could get.

I am sorry you are going through this right now. I normally bake until I’m exhausted when I go through grief, or just go to bed...depends on the day which one I do. I hope you are doing better today.

Just sit with the sadness/frustration for a bit. Acknowledge it. Notice how it feels and the thoughts it brings up. Then let it pass. Find something that changes your energy (exercise, a nap, good movie, etc.). In sobriety, we stop running from and numbing the feelings- we face them and realize they can’t actually do us harm if we don’t let them. Hang in there.

1 Like