Trying here…

I just admitted to myself that I’m actually scared to give up drinking. It makes me feel sick to my stomach the thought of it because it’s just become so ingrained in my life. In fact it is my social life. Is what I’m feeling normal? How did you all deal with these initial thoughts?

I think that is common. Find a new community with a church, synagogue or AA. best of luck on your journey

1 Like

I was terrified when I decided to get sober. All I could see was for life. A good friend told me it isn’t for life it is for today. I am sober for today. Tomorrow I will be sober for today. It makes it much less spooky to see it as one day, or even one minute if necessary. My whole circle of friends can’t seem to have fun without beer. My family is no better. You will grow to be more afraid of what you do drinking than you are of the odd comments from people who don’t get it. It isn’t easy but growing never is.

1 Like

Thanks for that. That’s a really healthy mentality to have and one that I hope I can take on. I’ve eased off of drinking quite a bit compared back to a couple of years ago, but seem to find myself partying more than I’d like lately. I too seem to run with a crew who loves to booze it up. Your words make it way less scary.

Katy have you been to any meetings? Do you know any sober ladies? If so communicate with them. Tell them your feelings. If not find a meeting get some ladies numbers and don’t be afraid to talk You will get support. Hard to get support from people that are still drinking good luck. Let’s stay in touch. I know this app helps me

1 Like

It sucks at first for sure. The first 10 dqys are full of emotional turmoil.. then I started to get excited about not drinking.. join a few communities like this one , the support is there. There's a great book called This Nqked Mind which helped me a lot. It see

1 Like

The journey we have not taken is always a scary perspective, but once we begin it becomes less intimidating.

1 Like