There are so many diseases and disorders in this world

There are so many diseases and disorders in this world. So many medicines and remedies to fix them... but when it comes to a substance use disorder (the medical term for addiction) (SUD)... where is our remedy? Why is our disorder not treated the same as others? There is no cure to treat a SUD. And to put it into remission, there is no single medication, program, or remedy. But one thing is for certain...to keep your SUD in remission, you need CONNECTION. For that is the opposite of addiction. Feeling down? Let’s connect! Stay strong everybody :two_hearts:

11 Likes

This is powerfully written and so true. I'm like fed up with the population not being empathetic towards those in addition, sobriety, or recovery.

I hate to hear "they chose that." No one chose to ruin their lives, give their children to the state for adoption, etc.

Thanks for sharing this. I believe things will improve for those in recovery, addiction, and sobriety.

2 Likes

I agree connection helps with my “spiritual malady.” For me, staying connected with my HP and friends is the an important linchpin for sobriety.

2 Likes

Yes indeed we must stay connected. Because one addict helping another is without parallel. We best understand and can help another addict.

2 Likes

Agree!

1 Like

To answer the big question you had, the reason there is no cure is for the same reason we have no cure for depression. Addiction rewires our brain and science has yet to figure out how to change that wiring with medicine

2 Likes

I love this topic. I find it fascinating. I think part of the reason there is no

cure and instead many methods to treat the symptoms of addiction or dependence, is because we all drink and use or engage in our addictive behaviors for different reasons.

Because we don't have a disease. We have a behavioral disorder. The explanation for there being no simple stream lined cure to addiction is very similar to the reason there is no single explanation or cure for any and all psychological disorders. Yes, the effects that our substances of choice have on our brains is observable and measurable but the core reasons that we use to excess are personalized to that individual. While there are medications for cravings and abuse deterrence, there are no simple solutions to the core reasons for addiction. This is exactly why it is a behavioral disorder and not a disease. Accepting this has made it much easier for this addict to address and begin to fix the real issues

2 Likes

Yes addiction is a behavioral disorder, but is is also a disease. It is something we caught. Addiction changes the brain’s way of processing information and the body’s way of handling stress. Far to often the term behavioral issues carries the connotation that is can be fixed. Kinda like the old school though of add can be fixed with a belt. Add is much like addiction in that it can be treated but neither ever really goes away.

I don't want to turn in this into a debate. We are all here for the same reason. If treated your own addiction like a chronic and permanent disease helps keep you sober and mentally fit then so be it.

1 Like

Wise words!

SUD is a sympton, not th prob.

I’m with you here, Mike. I used to agree with the disease theory of addiction, but in recent years have become much more aligned with the behavioral theory. I agree with most of all what you said about it. However, its widely accepted as a disease (whether that’s technically accurate or not) which I suppose is a good thing, because otherwise I think many people would have a much harder time receiving treatment. It seems like you’ve probably already read it but if you’re looking for a good read on this topic, I suggest The Biology of Desire: Why Addiction is Not a Disease. I would also add that being dependent/addicted to something (especially a hard substance) can certainly contribute to actual, medical diseases but in itself, is more of a naturally occurring habit loop that has gone terribly, terribly wrong