The science of addiction

Looking for resources on the science of addiction, anybody have anything they have read that is helpful?

1 Like

Hmm maybe try looking up some Ted Talks! I used to read about the science of it all a lot when I first got sober but I forget any resources I found other than watching interesting Ted talks.

1 Like

Chasing the Scream by Johann Hari is one of my favorite books. I highly recommend. He also has several Ted talks to watch as well.

1 Like

I'll chip in my two cents that YouTube is indeed an awesome resource for hard science regarding the chemical process of addiction, as well as practically any other facet of the disease. So like others have said I would start there for sure.

Yes!! it’s called under the influence! i read it when i was in treatment it is incredible and describes the science behind alcoholism, but as for drug addiction i’m not sure of any reads hope that helps :slight_smile:

If u r a drug addict there is no easy way for explaining what u have done to yourself running on your own self will take a look at your ways made yourself u need to sugar coat that

Try “In The Realm of Hungry Ghosts” by Gabor MatĂȘ. It’s pretty dense but very informative, passionate and holistic in it‘s modern scientific approach. It also considers addiction as a whole in our society and proposes solutions to treat the individuals’ underlying problems as opposed to ostracize and see them as “other.”

1 Like

The Molecule of More is a great book abt how dopamine drives our motivation for pleasurable things. The Biology of Desire deals more directly with addiction.