Struggling lately. In a few months I’ll be 3 years

Struggling lately. In a few months I’ll be 3 years sober. It gets easier in some ways but my anxiety is my worst trigger. I’ve had a lot going on lately and I think it’s finally built up to the point of anxiety attacks. I really don’t want to fall back in…

5 Likes

Hey there. See if you can get to the source of that anxiety. I know that is hard. I wish you the best

1 Like

Hi Colton. Congratulations on all your amazing accomplishments so far. You should feel very proud.

In terms of stress and anxiety, sometimes a regular exercise routine can be helpful with emotional stress. Even just going for walks, and clearing your head. Also, speaking to your personal doctor, and taking some medication may be useful, at least somewhat. Good luck. Have a great day.

1 Like

I know exactly how you feel. Have you ever tried guided meditation? It’s a great way to get out of your own head, which is where the anxiety comes from. One of the first tricks I was taught when I first tried getting sober was to find a distraction the second the thoughts start entering your head. I’m not good with general prayers or anything like that, so I recite the good ol’ Serenity Prayer. Sometimes I say it over and over and over (and over) again, but those anxious thoughts and feeling do eventually pass.

2 Likes

Hopefully you have meds if/when you get the attacks. Drinking will only make the anxiety that much worse when you sober up, then your constantly trying to figure out how to take the edge off and it’s a viscous circle. Anxiety is the worst, I deal with it too daily, I feel like getting a really strict diet going amd exercise is really helpful for me and as someone mentioned guided daily meditations help too. Drinking sounds like the relief that you need, but the short term relief is never worth the damage it does on the back end for your anxiety. Hit me up if you have any medication questions.

1 Like

Hi Michelle! Yes I use to do guided meditation often. I am glad you mentioned that. I need to start doing it again.

1 Like

Hang in there. You are not alone :pray:

1 Like

If my story was in the big book it would the first sentence would read. I always felt different out place and not good enough ever since I could remember. I pray almost constantly and try not to go around new places or people

Exercise is a great quick fix and then becomes a good habit :muscle:t2:

Sorry you are struggling. What do you do to alleviate stress? You may need to take some self care time. You can do it bro. Just keep swimming

1 Like

Hold on Colton. You can make it. Get to some meetings. Maybe consider a counselor, or a new hobby.