Stresse

Stressed and anxious about Thanksgiving amid the pandemic. I feel guilty that i dont want to go.. And the extreme tension in my mind makes me want to escape. I won't relapse cause I'm stronger than that! But i have been binge eating and acting destructively in other ways.. idk what to do..

The holidays are tough. It's not even really a matter of willpower, it's a matter of staying active in recovery. The good news is you're doing that right now! Make sure to have some phone numbers to call if you get itchy. Reach out. Go to online meetings if you can't find one in person. And as long as you don't pick up no matter what, that's a win

You're right. I don't really have anyone to call. This app is my only sober support system right now. But i have been able to resist while drugs and alcohol are used right in front of me.. so i feel like i should be able to handle it.. I just dont want to put myself in that position anymore.

Hi :wave: Lia, I'm in a similar situation. Please DM me if you ever just want to talk. I need the support too. Sounds like you are staying strong tho

2 Likes

Hey, yeah I'd love to talk about it among other things!

1 Like

Those are all good suggestions. Lia have you looked into other local support groups? Or outpatient rehab? Nothing wrong with AA/NA, but there are lots of other resources out there. Of course it may be limited based on your location. The outpatient I attend has been done online since the pandemic. It has been helpful in teaching me about addiction, coping skills, relapse prevention, etc. Plus a safe space to talk. I would have never thought I would like it, but it has been beneficial.

It worries me that you have been in situations with people using in front of you. It's awesome you have been able to resist in those situations, but it isn't necessarily helpful or supportive for your recovery. That is a slippery slope for sure., especially in the early stages. Let me know if you want to chat. :slight_smile:

Great feedback in this thread. Way to support one another!:purple_heart:

Don't want to sound Pollyanna here but stress anxiety worry are all future based head trips. We are all susceptible to this. I find a good antidote is to bring my thoughts back to the present. Am I ok right now? Are all my needs met today? When in doubt teach out and support someone else. Then my problems with worry tend to evaporate.

One step at the time. One hour at the time. Easy does it