Sobriety in the workplace

Sobriety in the Workplace

Before getting sober, and when in early recovery, it was difficult to manage work situations + dynamics that involved alcohol.

Years later, this isn’t an issue for me anymore because I changed industries and am no longer triggered by alcohol.

But I’m wondering how everyone else handles those types of situations i.e. coworkers going out for drinks, work parties, etc.

1 Like

Obviously, this is no longer a problem for me. In the past, I held jobs that were centered on bar culture to celebrate. I often asked prior to the celebration if my employer was willing to buy soda for me in lieu of alcohol and liquor; and if there is a section that we'll be using instead of a bar. If the answer was "yes" to both my questions I participated in the celebratory festivities. If not, I didn't attend.

1 Like

Hii!! I opt out. I don't tell people at work I'm sober. I socialize with other people..not coworkers. It works for me.

2 Likes

That's the best for many. I got tired of explaining why I don't drink. I don't have that problem now. Thank Goodness.

Has work life balance improved since you've been sober?