So I know I shouldn't do this to much. But,

So I know I shouldn't do this too much but, I'm so proud of myself. The story/share

Yesterday was such a beautiful day I decided to take my guitar to town and jam at the park a little. Arriving at the park I run into a young couple. The girl chilling on a bench and her boyfriend holding a skateboard. I politely ask the kid does he knows any tricks on that thing. He warmly replies not a lot but, I'll show you and he does a few tricks for me. We return to our own business I sit down and begin to play. After awhile an old friend runs into me. He sits down and we catch up, share a few laughs and stories. I then remember that an open mic recently opened back up. So my friend and I part and I proceed to the open mic... Which is at a bar... I walk to the bar and calmly order a ginger ale from the grumpy bar tender. Then go outside for a smoke where I meet two lovely people which would be my company for the rest of the night. We chatted and discussed tunes to perform. They asked me if I was going to? I was slow to agree as that's for sure one of my triggers. But, I do. We all take turns and these to girls were so good and needless to say I was nervous. So I order another ginger ale. I perform and I have to say very different experience being sober. My nerves were a wreck as was my voice. But, I didn't let this get to me when I got off the stage. Continued to chill abit and when I was about to head out early. My company encouraged me to stay. I did and sang another song shared a few more cigarettes and chat. Had some wonderful conversations. Luckily these two weren't drunks like me. After my second tune my nerves were wrecked of course but, didn't let it get to me. I thank my new friends for keeping me out and being supportive then went home to attend some AA meetings. The thing is the desire to drink was either not there or so small I squashed it. I had a great day!! If I was boozing non of this would had happened. I don't know I'm just proud of myself. For sure won't be a thing I do for a while since I'm very early in my sobriety. But, victory!!?

4 Likes

This is a victory. I'm glad you has a great day and a sober performance.

About 20 years or so.. gah, Im getting old lol

Yeah man, we don't need to hide from anything. I bounced gun and knife clubs for years. I never drank while working. It was quitting time when the games begin. Very high risk for BigJ. I bounced the first three years of my recovery. All I did was switch the venues. I started bouncing night clubs, some of the same habits. Why different crowd. Easy to walk away at the end of a shift.