Sad Reminder

Like I've said before, I stay at hotels throughout the week. I stay in a particular hotel in Hanover Maryland pretty regularly. Many people that check in there are from around the country and have to board a flight the following morning.

I came downstairs and started talking with the front desk clerks who I know quite well and I asked them what was going on? They were talking about a person who was not allowed to board because the airline felt that he was too intoxicated. So he came to the hotel and got a room. A little while later he came back down from his room at 5 in the afternoon to catch an Uber taxi. His wakeup call was for 2:30 a.m. (OUCH)

They asked him what was going on and he replied, "I had to cancel my flight so I may as well head back to the bar."

OMG! That was me to the core!

I don't think I ever boarded an aircraft intoxicated but that would be just like me to go back to the bar when the reason I didn't make the flight to begin with was because I had too much to drink earlier.

Having said that, my last days of getting intoxicated usually found me alone in a hotel room or in my home. No way would I go to bars in the last days. I usually wore my welcome out at most of those places.

What a sad reminder! I hope that guy finds AA or some other recovery program very soon.

My disease was like a weight on my shoulder. I had to carry it around everywhere I went and it got in the way of everything that I tried to accomplish. I drank day after day, 7 days a week.

My life is so much easier now without that weight on my shoulder. Is life always a bowl of cherries? Heck no! I still have to deal with life on life's terms.
I still have to deal with people everyday and most of them seem to think that the world revolves around them. To my advantage, I have an awareness of my character defects. I also have tools that I have been given through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. What I have learned is that I can't change people but I can sure change how I react to people.

Sometimes that's still a great challenge.

Life doesn't get easier because we get sober but we get better at dealing with life, without picking up a drink one day at a time. Oh, and those problems that happen in life, sooner or later they too shall pass.

I'm so thankful for sobriety and the program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

1 Like

Her her.good job!!!!!!!

I’m glad you are doing so well, but I am sorry that sometimes it just takes those sad reminders to help us see who we used to be and most of us care not to ever be that person again! You keep up what you’re doing and just remember that you’re not that person anymore and what you experienced was just that…”a sad reminder”!