Recovery is lonely

I stopped drinking in February but relapsed so I’m 28 days sober. I’ve recently told my mentally abusive mom and she’s treated me horribly because of it. My husband isnt a drinker and he’s trying to be supportive but has his own issues that are preventing it from being a positive conversations. I haven’t had any friends in 5 years.. just my kiddo. How does anyone do this without any real support?

4 Likes

Go to meetings

2 Likes

Sometimes less friends in early recovery isn't a bad thing especially if the old ones were using stay strong go to meetings

2 Likes

I definitely think you have real support. You stated your husband isn't a drinker and he's trying to be supportive but has his own issues to work out. If someone is being positive you have to take what you can get. It sounds like he supports but is overwhelmed with life.

You have a supportive sober person in your corner. That's so rare. I'm happy for you.

I'm no marriage counselor or any kind of therapist. I definitely suggest you also help your husband with what he's going through. That'll give him the support you need. In turn, he can probably be stronger at supporting you because he isn't boggled down with his struggles.

3 Likes

Go to meetings

1 Like

Welcome to sobriety and this beautiful App Loosid! You’re no longer alone! First thing is God is with you! Always and forever. Second I’m here I’m here. To be part of your support group. To be a part of this support group. I too know how lonely sobriety can be. Once I found God of my understanding all that loneliness changed. I started not to feel as lonely. I started to get outside and smile at people and look them in the eyes. This has lead me to some beautiful conversations with total strangers. Real people problems.

As for home life, stay focused on your sobriety. Listen listen and get to a meeting. Find someone who will sponsor you and will take you through the steps. I’m meeting with my new sponsor today. Had to change due to COVID-19 and it’s time to work those steps.
When I stopped talking about what I was doing in sobriety and started showing my family the amount of respect that followed is breath talking. Especially when my 15 year old tells me, out of no where, he can see the changes I’ve made. That made me tear up. As God is doing for me what I couldn’t do for myself.
Keep you head up. Listen to positive music, Andy Grammer.
Have a wonderful day filled with love and peace within my friend.

Meetings are good. Sometimes it’s good to find yourself alone then being around a bunch of people.

Thinking of you, Tia!

1 Like

Welcome TIA!!! Amanda S is right it’s on hurdles to have somebody sober in your corner. He might have his own issues at least he is trying. I wish I had somebody in my corner when I started. The only person I had in my corner with me myself and I. And it’s like everyone else says go to meetings get a sponsor. He can go to Al-Anon so that he can get a grip on what you’re going through. I believe that would help you out and him too. It’s about time

Working together on both can sometimes be hard and frustrating. And it might make you feel like you want to drink. Please whatever you do do not let the demon beat you. With the big family that you have here and the support we get helps A lot.

I might have a few years of sobriety that doesn’t mean anything if I can’t work my program. And working my program is knowing when to ask for help. Which is quite a lot. If it wouldn’t be for the people in AA and the programs I went through I probably wouldn’t be here today. So there’s always somebody around help us when we need it. Just give yourself time and that’s all it takes is just time. One day at a time or even one hour at a time.

Here’s a little prayer that I say every now and again.
God grant me the serenity to except the things I cannot change the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
That helps me sometimes. Especially if I can’t get to the phone and call somebody and talk. So welcome to the big family and remember we’re all here for the same reason.

You have support from your husband , I know it doesn't seem like it is the best support but he is trying. I have found that people who do not have something like addiction or a debilitating disease or something along the lines of what we fight can never truly understand. They try and can be sympathetic but until they see it in the mirror they cannot grasp it. Don't look at him too harshly. He may sound negative but he just doesn't understand. Help him as he tries to help you. If he has struggles help him through his as well. You may consider alanon for him, and counseling for you both.

1 Like

Pray to god your a strong person because you made it here you’ve survived 100% of your hardest days because you are here. Sometimes friends turn to family get into support groups. And if you want we can text and call and talk whenever you need let me know

1 Like

You chose to no longer be sick and suffering, This choice makes you no longer just the statistic of those in active addiction!!!! AA or NA meetings will give you a family of its own!!

Read great books about sobriety. Reading about other's struggles and successes, identifying with their story, can be powerful.

Yes change is difficult, paddling up shit river sometimes, lonley, only if you don't try to use the phone, get phone numbers, one of the first things you can do, pass a paper around the meetins,meeting, up that your new and feel alone, shine the light, and keep doing this until it works for you

Please involve yourself in the recovery community whether its AA, NA, ACOA meetings.