Please help: How did you handle the insomnia when you quit drinking? I've tried melatonin, otc medicines, chamomile tea, xanax, trazodone..but I'm going to end up with a whole OTHER addiction I don't need. How did you conquer it mentally?

Please help:
How did you handle the insomnia when you quit drinking

For me, melatonin really helped.

Helps, but it’s hit or miss, like some days that works and some days not. I have a prescription for sleep meds now, but wouldn’t recommend kicking one dependency for another one! Melatonin is natural though. Hope you get rest soon!

1 Like

I had to get sleep meds (Remron) it helped a lot. Not being able to sleep is a killer. Try to see a Dr

2 Likes

Best advice I received and now suggest is to earn your pillow. Whatever that means to you, do it. For me, I need challenges or I get bored. So I push myself mentally and physically to make sure my mind and body are "ready" for good nights rest. It is also a good habit to turn on Blue Light filter on your phone a few hours before bed as the light waves emitted from electronics can effect the bodies system into keeping it awake. A warm cup of sleepytime tea never hurts! Good luck with the ZZZ's!!

1 Like

I definitely agree with limiting the blue light you’re exposed to before bed. And sleepytime tea with valerian too. I’m one of those people who can’t take Benadryl or melatonin to sleep because if I do I sleep for about 13 hours and then I’m still drowsy after I get up. Physical activity can help you sleep better but you want to avoid doing it within a couple hours of when you plan of going to bed.

1 Like

Trazodon

1 Like

Avoid screen time before bed, or at least get some blue blockers. I find wearing myself out in the gym helps me sleep. I just have to do it early enough that the adrenaline wears off.

1 Like

Thank you all!

Reading before bed has been really helpful for me. But I use a kindle so I wear blue light blocking glasses