Playing the Tape Through 🎥

Playing the Tape Through :movie_camera:
I’m going to be making a video about this concept in the coming weeks, and am curious if/how it has helped you throughout your sobriety.

For me, being able to play the tape through has helped me to pause and take a realistic look at what events are most likely to unfold if I drink or use again.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I know we use this as a way of getting people to see the end of a relapse before they get there, and as a way to get them to remember why they quit. I love this process for everything. Want to quit your job because you are mad...play the tape. Want to not clean the house...play the tape. If we look at each decision as one scene in a reel, we can build the whole movie before we make the choice. It helps keep everything in alignment with where we want to be.

2 Likes

“Playing the tape” is a mantra for many including myself to remember powerlessness is very real.

1 Like

... I've actually never heard of this. When I Googled it, it sounded a little scary :flushed:. No?

Wow I never considered using this tool outside of sobriety and now my mind is blown! Especially with your example of not cleaning the house lol I’m currently playing the tape through if I don’t go get my laundry from the washing machine ... well I’ll have to go down to the basement when it’s colder and darker out ... my clothes might be smelly because they sat their wet for hours... then I’ll have to rewash them and waste water and energy ... not to mention my roommate will get mad because they can’t put their stuff in lol thanks Steve!

1 Like

Hmm maybe it is a more common phrase in the sobriety circles around me :thinking: but now I’m gonna Google it and see what happens lol basically it’s just mentally playing out scene by scene what will happen if you choose to pick up a drink again. For me, I’d prob have one. Then that would switch something “on” for me where I’d justify having another. Then since I already had two, I’d prob think it’s fine to have a third. Eventually I’d over drink and prob end up where alcohol always takes me ... in a blackout and then into a shame cycle. Playing that mental tape through is much more useful for me than living out the reality

I see and I have lived through that scene many times in real life. I do see now how that could be constructive for me or anyone to do that now with the difference in personal conflicts it would bring back after seeing sobriety for longer.

I love the idea of playing the tape. It has kept me from doing some real boneheaded stuff. I mean seriously. And I love the idea of using this outside of Sobriety. Honestly when you think about it we already do. You do risk analysis of anything you play the tape. In my line of work I have to lay out exactly where I put a cut in a tree so it falls where it needs to or does as little damage as possible. I could see each choice I make as a playing the tabe on the fly.

I do this all the time... I have my worst hangovers and anxiety at the ready if I ever need a reality check... never going back to that Bryan, he sucks lol