On day 16, and woke up feeling incredibly anxious for

On day 16, and woke up feeling incredibly anxious for no reason. Is that normal in the beginning of sobriety?

2 Likes

Hey James, congrats on your progress. Day 16 is awesome! Anxiety, by definition, is a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome. In other words, anxiety is future-oriented fear. So, what are you afraid of? What beliefs are causing you to feel anxious?

2 Likes

First few weeks I had a lot of anxious moments. I think it is just normal when adjusting to anything new, and especially this. Take some deep breaths and relax and realize it will pass…

1 Like

I had it pretty easy for the first 10 days and then on Saturday I had all these negative thoughts. Sometimes what helps me is to say the worse case scenario and how it would still be ok.

1 Like

Definitely was pretty rough for me at first too and still is here and there… I blocked out so much emotion with using that I was so unclear on what was bothering me but it's becoming easier to understand the longer I am sober. Hang in there .. talk it out.

1 Like

Hey Kevin,

Not sure it's anything that is going to happen. Could have been from meeting up with family yesterday while they were all drinking. All is good now.

1 Like

Got some healthy food in me and was able to fit in some exercise. Feeling much better now. Thanks for the kind words.

1 Like