My son is in my guest room freaking out because

My son is in my guest room freaking out because he had relapse and I told him he had to do ninty meeting, ninty days. 52 years old came down because my husband passed January 8, .Really want to help him. But he has to put in the work. I’m 32 years sober. He is good so many ways. His disease will let him loose everything, BECAUSE HE WONT GO TO MEETINGS.Grow up no one wants to go to meetings in beginning.

1 Like

Maybe try to get him to do an AA Zoom meeting online. There is a 24/7 one at aahomegroup org

1 Like

He found one in east Naples..But he’s really upset because I said 90 in90

Wow

Perhaps he hasn't hit bottom yet. The best thing my folks did was kick me out at 20 years old

1 Like

Morning, sorry for your family's loss. How does relapse translate to 90 n 90? A collaborative, person centered approach might yield more desirable outcomes.

As much as you love your son you have no control over him. You can set boundaries to protect yourself. Also there are many ways to get sober. What works for you may not work for him. Perhaps you can lovingly suggest he has so much time to stop drinking or he will have to leave if thats your boundary also he can't drink in your home.

There's smart recovery, we are the luckiest meetings 4x a day, refuge recovery and so much more. There's so much quit literature out there that is scientifically updated. The naked mind by Annie grace is very informative. Maybe you can try alanon. Hope your situation works out and I'm very sorry for the loss of your husband.

2 Likes

Evelyn, I'm very sorry for your loss of your husband. If I may also echo what the others said...when I was initially trying sobriety and others would press me and push me to go to meetings all it did was piss me off and make me resent them. I know now that my family wanted the best for me, but your approach may need to 'meet him where he is at' in order to have success. I really like Lynn's suggestion of setting a boundary and then...hard as it may be...sticking to it. That may open his eyes more if he knows you are serious. Hugs to you.

1 Like

There are other options, check out smartrecovery.org been around 25 years