Loosid Sober Tip of the Day May 30

Cleaning up our side of the street.

In recovery, one of the most powerful things we can do is make amends to those who we have harmed.

In 12 step programs, this includes facing those who we have harmed, apologizing and expressing our willingness to do whatever it takes to make things right. This is only in the event that it would not hurt them or others. This is step 9 of a 12-step program.

Whatever the spiritual program, making amends sets us free. It allows us to forgive ourselves, for we made every effort to set right we have done wrong.

It is very important to understand that it does not matter If the person accepts our apology. We have taken the action and it is up to them if they accept it. Whatever they choose, the amend is ours to make, we have made it, and it sets us free.

It also very important to understand never to have any resentment should they not accept our amend. Many of us have hurt people and those wounds have cut deep. There may be some who are not yet ready to accept our forgiveness.

We have made our amend and so our work is done and we set on our way to make the next one.

We have done our part.

Have you made your amends? If so, share below how they have helped set you free.

If you are new to recovery and have questions, PLEASE ask. We are here to help. You are not alone.

There are many people in the Loosid community who need to hear what you have to say.

With Love, Loosid :pray::heart:

1 Like

I think this step is for our peace of mind as well as it can also result in the eventual healing of a relationship. When I cleaned up my side of the street, I found most people receptive to me but with hesitance. The key is not to expect a lot. We’ve done a lot of damage that can’t be overcome quickly. GOD BLESS!!

4 Likes

Just PLEASE don’t rush to this step. The 12 steps are in the order they’re in for a reason. The clarity to gain in steps 1-8 will help make your amends truly meaningful to those we owe an apology to. Be blessed!

2 Likes

I'm in the middle of Step 9 right now. My sponsor is having me start with the "easy" ones first. I've done a couple but then stalled out. It's just fear. I know that. I trust my Higher Power to help and guide me through the fear, to the freedom that lies beyond it.

"If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness."

--AA, pp. 83

1 Like

Meeting my daughter for the first time in 13 years I've been clean for roughly about 5 making amends comes in many forms and some take a little longer than others the 9th step clearly states made direct amends whenever possible except when to do so would injure them or others for me personally I had to live put into practice what I'm about to offer