Loosid Sober Tip of the Day June 19

During a spiritual program of recovery, it is essential that we set aside time for self-care.

Life can get overwhelming, and before we know it, we are taking care of everything and everyone… and we forget about taking care of ourselves.

Our minds can wander into thoughts about the past (regret) or worrying about the future (fear).

This is why so many of us used substances to push away these feelings and ‘get out of the now.’

Today is the perfect opportunity to ‘get into the now’ and be proud of yourself wherever you are in your sober journey.

Just by reading this is an act of self-care.

Self-care is defined as:

The practice of taking action to preserve or improve one's own health.

When we set aside time for self-care, it helps us slow down and take a pause from the excitement and stress of the outside world and gives us the chance to connect with ourselves and live in the present moment, a place where regret and fear simply cannot exist.

Practicing self-care gives us the chance to love ourselves and accept ourselves exactly as we are… perfectly imperfect.

Self-care can look different for everyone.

If self-care is new to you, here are some things you can think about trying:

• Meditation, or simply paying attention to your breath.
  • Getting out into nature
  • Shutting off your phone or television
  • Reading a good book, or perhaps some text on recovery that you have not looked at in a while.
  • Listening, singing and/or dancing to your favorite song
  • Exercising
  • Taking a warm bath
  • Lighting candles
  • Journaling
  • Cooking your favorite meal
  • Getting a massage
  • Listening to positive affirmations
  • Constructing a gratitude list
  • Making your favorite Mocktail. If you never have made a Mocktail, there is no time like the present!

Whatever you do, take time today to love yourself and pay special attention to your self-care and your recovery.

Why? Because you are worth it.

What do you do for self-care? Share below the things that have helped you the most. There are many people in the Loosid community who need to hear what you have to say.

With Love, Loosid :pray: :heart:

10 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I walk my amazing dog, I call my close friends to chat, I will read a chapter from the Big Book, sneak in a decadent nap, watch a funny show, thrift shop☺️

3 Likes

It’s crazy because I have a little over two years of sobriety and for the past few days I have been battling with anxiety and I haven’t been able to place my finger on it. Here is what I know I am the master at self sabotage and for two years now my life has been truly blessed don’t get me wrong I have my struggles but nothing compared to my using days. And bow thanks to this tip I just read I realize that I just need to take time for myself so I’m gonna go get a pedi get my nails done and just relax. So thank you for helping me realize :relaxed:

2 Likes

:pray::heavy_heart_exclamation::heart::kissing_heart:

1 Like

Ugh.....message came at the right time. Inside my head too much right now. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Self care is so important, I was to throw in practicing yoga for me :woman_in_lotus_position:t2:

1 Like

I try do a HALT check (hungry angry lonely tired) and a lot of my activities are based on that simple tool. I also like throwing on a guided meditation, or a meditation app and just relaxing. When I work a lot, I plan a vacation, a getaway , or even a daycation.
The CORE of my self care consist of:

1. Thanking God I woke up and 3rd step prayer
  2. Reading literature
    3)Reaching out to others in recovery
    4)Attending /participating in a 12 step meeting (either in person or via zoom
  3. Thanking God at night
3 Likes

So true

1 Like

I take a nap :sleeping:

2 Likes

I focus on getting closer to Jesus and what He wants from me and what He wants to do in my life. If that's not my main priority, nothing else matters.

I implement healthier food options in my life.

I try my best to just love people.

1 Like

Ty for the reminder about HALT ! I "try" 2b good at self care (simply taking time for myself)... but I forget, that maybe I just need to step back, take a moment & ask myself those questions!

1 Like

Love it!

Learning about what Christ has for our bible study for today,the Book of Ephesians :pray:t3:

How do I delete all these messags

lol be, jl jy but

Thanks thats u