Loosid Sober Tip of the Day July 12

You can turn a cucumber into a pickle, but you can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber.

In recovery, we often use this term to explain that, once an alcoholic or addict, always an alcoholic or addict.

This great obsession of alcoholics and addicts is to think one day we can drink or use again in moderation.

To combat this ‘stinking thinking’, many of us admit our powerlessness over the drink or drug in our daily practice. This allows us to withdraw from the debating society in order that we don’t waste energy on things we cannot change.

Remember, alcoholism and addiction is 100% treatable. For this reason, many of us find ourselves beyond grateful for having a disease which we can put in remission on a daily basis provided we work a spiritual program.

Today, choose to accept being a pickle today. Life is too short to spend it trying to turn back into a cucumber.

How did this tip resonate with you? Let us know your thoughts below. There are many people in the Loosid community who need to hear what you have to say.

With Love, Loosid :pray::heart:

7 Likes

This is my favorite analogy for addiction. Thank you.

Accurate, completely have to accept that I’ll never be a cucumber again. I can be the best pickle out there :pray:

So true and I try Every day to realize that I will never go back to the old me and the old man really doesn’t even exist I’m going to explore the new me the sober me the me that has feelings and understanding of God that I am exactly where I’m supposed to be at exactly the moment I’m supposed to be in and there’s no turning back because that was pure Distraction

1 Like

I would rather be a pickle learning to live as a pickle, than trying to get out of a pickle because I was trying to pickle my innards.

2 Likes

Very cool analogy of the delusional thinking of an alchoholic

1 Like

I joined a few weeks ago - two weeks sober after six years of daily drinking ( post being sober for a year and a half a while back ). I know I can keep being sober. Grateful for this community and yes, an apt analogy. Thank you.

Poetry