Know that I need to stop drinking. I use it

Know that I need to stop drinking. I use it as a crutch to numb my feelings. I joined today to start my journey. I am more of a daily drinker 2-3 glasses of wine. It’s my way to relax and unwind I tell myself. Time to look my self in the mirror and be honest.

Good afternoon, Cindy.

Great job on being honest with yourself. It's not easy but it's worth it.

Unwinding is important. How we do it is imperative. I take 30 minute naps, watch an episode of my favorite shows, go for a drive, pray, read the Bible, and/or take a hot bath to unwind.

Have you spoken with a professional about your feelings?

My daughter's were taken away from me. My entire family disowned me. I drank to deal with it. But a DWI and some jail time convinced me to start therapy and AA. Life was really difficult but in time I learned how identify my feelings and how they were related to my drinking. got a strong sponsor. and continued therapy. That was 26 years ago. Still have the same sponsor and still do it one day at a time. I'll always be one drink away from a drunk.

1 Like

Yes I have. I think I need meds to help with cravings. I had a hard night last night and drank and was so disgusted with myself after I forced myself to throw up.

I’m sorry you had to hit rock bottom to get there but feel so inspired that 26 years later you are still sober

There is no easier or softer way, we have to hit rock bottom in order to see that we need to change. It is part of the process that everyone goes through in order to start recovery..best of luck to you. Find some meetings and go go go.

1 Like