Just lost my girlfriend of 4 years because of my

Just lost my girlfriend of 4 years because of my drinking. This is all in the last week. I’ve always tried to quit but I always go back to it. Very anxious, and disappointed I lost a Great friend all because of my weakness!! Need strength!!

4 Likes

Try and allow this to teach you how serious of consequence active addiction has. Our alcoholism affects the loved ones in our lives and when it becomes unmanageable it is often catastrophic. Don’t stop fighting and know it is okay to feel. Although it is uncomfortableew to sit amongst and reflect from that anxiety and disappointment it is a vital part in recovery.

3 Likes

You’re not alone :purple_heart:

4 Likes

That’s a rough place to be. Find your strength through support from others.

Get involved in a peer support program like AA, LifeRing, SMART Recovery, Recovery Dharma or the many new ones that seem to be popping up. Or get involved in your church community if that’s your thing.

Whatever the case, don’t be too proud to ask for help from others who will be supportive of your goal to not drink. Just stay on track, start getting healthier and you might be surprised at the things that come (back?) your way.

P.s. anxiety and depression suck but like Sarah said, it’s important to learn how to sit with those feelings and not try to change the way we feel in unhealthy ways.

It’s a practice that can help us the rest of your life.

2 Likes

Sorry man, you’ll get over it.

1 Like

That's a big part of why I am sober. I was mistreating my husband with pent up anger and grief and blacking out so don't remember saying those horrible words to the love of my life. But most importantly I am doing it for myself. My blood pressure was up very high so i just kept increasing my dose. I'm a nurse, 51 years old and 120 lbs and don't want to have a stroke or heart attack and I'm a borderline diabetic so I decided all those reasons were important enough to cut one thing out of my diet. I tried salt and regular sugar then had to make the choice to delete alcohol entirely. My blood pressure is almost normal on my prescribed dose. From this app I am learning from each and every person. Welcome

1 Like

Sobriety isn't easy. The alternative is just as easy. The deciding factor is, what do we gain from our Sobriety. We are week but it is with a community we become strong.

1 Like

My fiancé left me over my using. It’s been a year and I’m still not over it. All I know is using after didn’t make anything better. It just made me lonelier than before. I didn’t reach out like you did however. Stay strong!

2 Likes

We got this!! I joined yesterday and I’m ready to make my life better too. No excuses we got this!! Have a blessed day!

Prayers sent for strength

1 Like

You can make it. Take it as a wake up call and rebuild your life. Who knows she may come back if you build a life you can be proud of.

1 Like

I’m sorry man I know it hurts. I lost my 16 year marriage.She also moved out of state with my kids so it’s not easy

2 Likes

Thank you for the positive words!! Ready to be the best version of myself…Reboot.

1 Like

You’re not weak. You’re sick. You can’t quit an addiction and better than you can quit diabetes. But it is 100% treatable.

Whatever you do, don’t do it alone. Safe detox and a program of recovery surrounded by people who have been where you’ve been, and are now where you want to go.

I am a 12 stepper. Saved my life. I had 4 choices. Dead, Jail, institution or recovery. 425ish days ago I committed to recovery. No half steps. No harm reduction. Go to meetings. Get a sponsor. Read the books. Do the work. Live to tell your story.

I’m not special. My situation wasn’t unique. I felt so alone but boy howdy it felt good to let some people in. All you’ve gotta do is ask for help.

1 Like

Thank you Robin right back at you!! God Bless!!

It sucks. My mans of almost two years opened up to me and talked to me about how my depression/ptsd affects him so much. I have been relying on him too much and it is not fair for either of us. I love him very much and he loves me too, but as much as it hurts I also understand where he is coming from. I know that its hard. To be there for someone constantly who is struggling. And the affects of their actions and emotions no matter how hard both of you try or if you dont mean ill intent. Its a difficult situation. And I am not suprised that at some point people can only handle so much until they have to walk away. Not because they dont love you, but because they have to do whats right for them. My man asked for a break, for some time apart, and while he didnt really say he wanted to break up, I wouldnt be suprised if at the end of our time apart he asks to split up. In a way I can feel your pain, even tho its obviously not the same thing. Its a complicated and rough situation. But at the end of the day as much as it hurts, we always have ourselves. And while we struggle with our illnesses, we must learn how to manage them and to learn how to be there for ourselves and learn to love ourselves. There are lots of people that are here for you, even if it feels like theres no one around. Of course there is this community on this app. There are AA meetings, and other programs. As well as activities you can try to do. We must try our best to invest time in ourselves and our healing as best we can, and we can ask for help when we are struggling like youre asking right now. Best of luck and sending you good vibes. Hang in there

1 Like

Ryan I am so sorry for the pain. I lost my 27 years of marriage and my house and most of all, my three daughters can’t and won’t forgive me for leaving. Can’t go back. I am building a new sober life but that’s does not mean I don’t cry an awful lot.

1 Like

Thank you so much! This was so needed at the right time.

1 Like