Is there a real alternative to AA in the US?

Is there a real alternative to AA in the US? With in person-meetings ( post Covid)?

3 Likes

Hey, non-AA folks. Are y'all aware of in person meetings happening now?

1 Like

Yup. they'reback in md and

1 Like

Sooo what are other alternatives to AA?

2 Likes

I’ve heard of smart recovery. Not sure if they are in person

3 Likes

Recovery Dharma. A buddhist approach to recovery. Im not very familiar with it but im looking into it. Ive been sober a little over 2 years and my views are conflicting with AA too much to feel a part of the program any longer

7 Likes

I feel the exact way

3 Likes

It kinda baffles me when people object/reject aa. Whether it’s the Bible thumping, or something else etc....

The bottom line is that if your decision making and your personality worked well, you wouldn’t be in the position you’re in. So objecting to aa(from what I’ve seen) is simply a platform to reject sobriety and place blame on the program.

Aa squarely and clearly advises you to correct your flaws. If you don’t find a way to do that, or are unwilling to do that, then chances are no program will work for you.

Just my two cents. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

This is such bullshit.

4 Likes

No offense

1 Like

Sorry, but....it’s typically not. If you’d like to point out what part is, I’d be happy to point out why I believe it’s not.

No program “keeps you sober”. It’s all about the individuals openness and willingness

1 Like

I’m not religious. I believe organized religion is used historically to keep poor working class people from rising up against the wealthy and powerful.

And I cannot say enough good about AA. It has helped me when nothing else could. My higher power is the my home group. That works for me.

2 Likes

Exactly...you get your whackos but you get that anywhere.

I’m purely agnostic. I learned to live within the god concept also. It’s part of finding some humility in my program

2 Likes

AA does not align itself with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution...

Their words. Not mine.

3 Likes

Check out this site. They also have a podcast (beyond belief sobriety podcast). There are a lot of resources and it is a legit organization

1 Like

Have you checked them out?

1 Like

Trying Celebrate Recovery as a alternative to AA

1 Like

Very interesting!!

1 Like

I have tried AA and it is not for me AT ALL. I completely disagree that rejecting AA means a person is rejecting sobriety. What a closed-minded statement. It is asinine to me that people are shamed or belittled when they speak out against AA. I have found SMART Recovery a way better fit for me. It makes sense, it uses tons of CBT and teaches self-empowerment over your addiction and recovery. The only downside is it isn’t as big as AA so in person meetings are harder to come by. I know a lot of the participants also participate in AA and find that works best for them.

12 Likes

Co-signing the recommendations for SMART Recovery.
(Actually, co-signing Rachel’s entire statement above.)
And yes, there are in person meetings - check out smartrecovery.org. There’s a lot of online support there as well.

1 Like