Is there a limit to tolerance?

Is there a limit to tolerance?

Great question. Tolerance is a necessary component of acceptance. But if tolerance infringes on or compromises on who you are as a person then it needs to be reexamined. Never sacrifice your core beliefs to accommodate the feelings of others.

Tolerance goes away with abstinence

1 Like

Well said Mike. That’s the way I think about it

It depends on the thing we tolerate. If it is tolerance to other ideologies, that tolerance should end when the ideology does harm to others. If there is no harm to anyone other than the consenting believers of that ideology then my motto is if you like it I love it.
However, if it is tolerance to our own self destruction we should refuse to tolerate it at all. I.e. a man should not permit himself to over eat, due to the negative effects on his body.

The largest issue with social tolerance is can every viewpoint exist and be tolerated no matter how socially unacceptable it is. The issue with self tolerance is if we tolerate one destructive tendency then all are permitted.

The social tolerance is what I have problems with. Why should I tolerate something that harm me just to please others

Working on letting go that which I can’t tolerate. For peace of mind - good question

I think there is definitely a limit to tolerance. People certainly test my tolerance but that is why I also have patience. These are just a few of the tools that AA has given me. All of which I need a lot of practice with.