Is anybody here doing this without AA? How is it

Is anybody here doing this without AA? How is it going? This is not my first time trying to quit on my own and I keep slippin

1 Like

Hi there... I'm 2 and a half years sober without a program. It was difficult in the beginning, but with substitutes and time it becomes easier.
For a lot of people relapse and slips are apart of the journey. View this as a learning process, no your triggers, have a strong support team of friends and or family. The whole thing about treatment is there isn't a one-size- all-solution. I think alot of people end up doing the 12 step programs because that's all that's offered in there area or they aren't aware of any others. The SMART program is grounded with developing coping strategies.

*know

Thank you, that helps a lot! I will look into the SMART program

1 Like

I tried getting sober for years without a program and I would get sober BUT I would never stay sober… once I got a sponsor and got involved in a program everything changes and I was able to stay sober! Coming up on 16 months :pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:my advice is get involved in a program and get a sponsor ASAP.

2 Likes

Thank you, that is what it’s starting to look like. Why is it that it is so hard to actually go to a meeting or look for help

1 Like

I quit drinking back in 2011 but not by choice. The lortabs with Tylenol and insane insane amount of vodka with it causes my liver to fail not one but twice with in a 3 month period. I didn’t do any AA and don’t do it now and don’t do any NA either I see a counselor and a psychiatrist for it

1 Like

if you want to try a Recovery that's not based on the 12 steps i recommend reading this book called "Refuge In Recovery" it's a Buddhist approach to recovery!! it talks a lot about impermanence,

1 Like

Thank you, I will look for it!

If you don't do AA try a different program. It is near impossible to do it on your own. The opposite of addiction is connection is a saying for a reason. Addiction wants us isolated. It is easy to not stay sober when you are the only one who k own you are sober.

2 Likes

I'm not using AA, but have great respect for the program and its adherents. Try reading This Naked Mind or The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober. Both works are not AA and really help changing thinking of drinking.

1 Like

I did AA for the first year of my sobriety but ultimately didn’t feel it was for me. I’m now 5 years and 7 months sober with no programs.

1 Like

When you are in enough PAIN the AA is the right place. If you can not accept that your life is unmanageable and that your powerless over alchol I am unsure how you do it. But if you can recover and drink like a normie my hats off to you sir. I need the program.

Personally...if my own willpower was enough for me to get sober and stay that way, or even control how much I drank, I wouldn't be an alcoholic. Self reliance was insufficient. I came into AA over 2 years ago and I'm not about to try to fix something that isn't broken. I'm not shunning other programs or methods, but my disease taught me that relying on myself failed me every time & I needed a program that depends on working with others.

i sincerely hope that this doesn’t come across as arrogant or disrespectful in any way. i do agree with everyone that some kind of program is necessary. i’m not in AA and as of now i’m on my own program (knowing full-well that if i need it i can reach out to AA and i absolutely would if i felt in danger)! in my humble opinion, these are the tools that are most beneficial to me right now: AN INTEREST COMMUNITY (such as this one), a sober network of friends or at least a network of people working WITH you on a healthy goal (could be work, a passion, something). hobbies and lots of things to do (boredom is very dangerous), and finally - purpose, a plan, time and presence to think for myself. the more i dug into my life, the more i realized it wasn’t even me in charge. it’s been my addiction all along. the first tactic that addiction uses against me is convincing me to trust it. any time after i’ve let that happen, it’s been a quick victory for addiction and a painful recovery for me. no shame to myself or any others that this happens to!! if you’re on this app, you’re already better off in the fight. keep reaching out to the community. there is so much hope and love to be had through unity :v:

It’s hard because we don’t wanna admit we have a problem or ask for help. Don’t stress on it that’s a normal feeling, just accept it and give the program a real chance. I promise it will be LIFE CHANGING🙏🏻

1 Like

There are grave yards full of them, its natural to die a horrible alcoholic death, painful way to go, yes you can but,easier softer ,not how its done ,

Thank you all for your messages, they are really helpful. What I’m getting out of this is that we may not need AA specifically, but we definitely need a community that helps us with our problem, specially if you’ve failed time and time again at quitting by yourself. AA may have its critics and adherents, but it has been helping people with addiction for a long time and seems to work a lot better than narcissistic delusions of a superhuman will power. I went to a meeting (online) for the first time yesterday and I’ll be back today

AA doesn’t work for me. I suppose I just really got sick of being a drunk and transformed. I don’t really get cravings and when I do I just acknowledge exactly what will happen if I have that first drink. I suppose I don’t really care about the higher power portion so I don’t wake up everyday calling myself an alcoholic and grovel to something I can’t conceptualize. On the other hand, I respect whatever works for anyone else.

Great response, I concur

1 Like