In one month, I will hit my year mark for

In one month, I will hit my year mark for sobriety. I rarely think about drinking anymore (except for when others are doing it around me). But I remember when I couldn’t imagine ever being sober. Each day that passed was just getting me healthy enough to where I could drink again - that was the whole idea. Now, I’m happy to be where I’m at, not as a temporary fix - but as a lifestyle. I still have tons of work to do. I’m on a long waiting list for a counselor. I’m currently medicated for my anxiety, but the doctor wants me to see the counselor before anti depressants. I don’t like the meds - they keep me from “feeling” a lot...maybe one day I’ll see a counselor and be able to manage on my own. In the meantime I’ll take the meds over the self medicating.

3 Likes

Congratulations

1 Like

Congratulations keep up the hard work

1 Like

Congratulations young lady. Just stay mindful around those that are drinking around you. Keep up the hard work.

1 Like

Unfortunately my fiancé has a problem he isn’t willing to acknowledge yet. The bright side is watching him getting sloppy drunk reminds me all the time that I don’t want to be that person. At first it’s all fun and games, but I can’t (nor can he) seem to draw that line once we have started.

I understand you. I didn’t wanna acknowledge my problem at first either. I didn’t know how to draw that line when I get started either. The worst thing as I started as soon as I woke up end it once I passed out. I’m glad that I finally admitted that I had a problem. It’s the best thing that I ever have done for myself. And I love who I am today and nobody or nothing can take that away from me. Except for myself if I decide to drink again and pick up. So I know where you’re coming from and I wish you the best of luck. But I just wanna let you know if you need somebody to talk to don’t be afraid to lock me up. I will help you If I can

1 Like

Thank you. I hope he gets there too. It’s hard to accept that responsibility and do the work. I fell off the wagon a few times before this stretch - even when I’d accepted the need to stop. We don’t always do what’s best for ourselves. I’d just love to have that healthier version of him. And I’ll be there to support him. I appreciate your kindness and understanding.

This is what we are here for to help one another to understand things better. And to do things better for ourselves. You are welcome.

1 Like

My suggestion is to stay vigilant and try to stay in the day as much as is reasonably possible...I celebrated a year twice and 9 months a few times. But never 18 months or multiple years. Then I went on a 5 year run that just ended recently. Best of luck to you and I wish you well :pray:

1 Like

My suggestion is to stay vigilant and try to stay in the day as much as is reasonably possible...I celebrated a year twice and 9 months a few times. But never 18 months or multiple years. Then I went on a 5 year run that just ended recently. Best of luck to you
and I wish you well :pray::crossed_fingers:

It’s funny how everyone has their own things that keep them on track. For me, the daily focus would be not enough to keep me from drinking. I have to look and focus on the long term to remind myself that just today isn’t enough. One of my best sober friends (he’s been sober for like 10 years now) is a “day by day” focus - because the long term overwhelms him. I’ve always been a planner - lol - and my last relapse led to me having a seizure a week into jumping back on the wagon. The idea that stopping drinking alcohol did that to me reminds me that I can’t relapse even for a day...

1 Like

Congrats