In a weird place rn.. I feel like I cheated

In a weird place rn.. I feel like I cheated on my sobriety... I went out to dinner with my family the other night and ordered a drink (alcohol has never been a major issue for me, my problematic DOC is marijuana). But I'm struggling with it mentally because I still see alcohol as a harmful drug. I only had one small cocktail, but I still feel like I betrayed myself and sobriety in a weird way?? I don't want more alcohol and I don't plan to drink again in the future.. idk why I even ordered a drink? It sounded good? Everyone else was drinking.. I was tired and not thinking clearly.. idk. Lol and maybe I'm making a bigger deal about it than I need to, but I just feel kinda guilty about it. Any feedback is appreciated!

Just remember that no one is perfect on the road to sobriety… Its good that you recognize the struggle and it seems like you are learning from it. Just keep making the next right decision. You will get there. We all have your back!

2 Likes

Friday I cheated on my diet because I wanted to cheat on my sobriety (for me it wouldn't have been a cheat, but a full on affair, since alcohol is my problem). I think it gave me a chance to think about what ifs without a lot of emotional pain. You cannot eat yourself unhealthy in one day, but you certainly can be back to square 1 with alcohol in just a few hours. I keep thinking to myself, 1 drink doesn't equal damnation but you are 99% of the way back to hell at that point. Enough about me, what I am trying to say is that if you recognize a mistake enough that it doesn't become a new addiction, it's probably just a good learning experience. Yay for knowing!

3 Likes