Imagine if we had to spend the same amount of

Imagine if we had to spend the same amount of time, effort, energy, thought and attention on recovery as we did on drinking or drugging and for as many years to get free. I’ve actually now been sober for more hours/days than I drank and used, not counting childhood as sober, but I haven’t spent near the effort, energy, thought and attention on recovery as I did drinking and drugging, which is what led to my relapse after 10 years sober. Today at 8 months sober I try with a lot of help and pretty good success to spend the same time, effort, energy, thought and attention on recovery as I did drinking and using, which is pretty much every waking hour. Conscious contact. Practicing these principles in all of our affairs.

1 Like

Indeed. It can be challenging to meet our changing needs after logging some time. Every few months I will get caught up and catch myself spinning. My cue is when I feel like giving something a flying lesson. I immediately call one of my core supports an talk off some steam. Glad you made it back. Thanks for keeping it real, David. I owe you a bit of gratitude.

1 Like

Congratulations! I never want to have to live that way again.

1 Like