I'm still looking for a sponsor. I hear that women

I'm still looking for a sponsor. I hear that women should have a woman sponsor and men should have a Male sponsor. Do yall agree or disagree? I'm curious.

7 Likes

I would advise it when possible. Your sponsor will be privy to a lot in your life. It needs to be someone you are totally comfortable with.

4 Likes

That's recommended

1 Like

I agree.

1 Like

If you get a male sponsor you’ll likely develop feelings for each other which can derail the progress you’ve made, or even sobriety in general.

4 Likes

Your sponsor I think should be someone you have something in common with which seems easier being both male or female. But they have something you want. Their sobriety. Ya know

1 Like

I do agree with that because there’s not that added stress when you go through your steps and you will be able to be more comfortable and open up more

How ya doing Lin’s

2 Likes

Women with women men with men

1 Like

Agree

This is the link to IP 11, entitled "Sponsorship." It tells what a sponsor is and isn't.

My sponsor is male but many close friends in sobriety are female and I’m closer with some than my sponsor... it’s 2021. Gender is fluid and shouldn’t be a constraint on recovery support. Just don’t try to fuck your sponsor.

2 Likes

I agree

1 Like

I have had a number of sponcers, over the years, its the best thing to move forward and just start the search, action is the best thing, just remember this just to help get through the steps, your not a bank or a taxi and definitely not a hotel....:slight_smile:

Women with women, men with men! Its proven to work best.

1 Like

All new meetings. My meeting, Joy of Living, starts in 5 minutes, everyday at the same time. Plenty of wisdom and people willing to sponsor

If you can get a sponcer your ahead of the curve, it is suggested that if your a woman try to get a woman sponcer, people have personal motives of course. So be choosy but do it the sooner the better

1 Like

Are you doing AA or NA?

1 Like

Absolutely! Although one of my sponsors was gay, and she found it easier and more helpful to find a male sponsor. I know for me, I needed a woman, because of my codependent tendencies with men and a plethora of trauma experiences related to toxic relationships. I definitely get a whole hell of a lot of wisdom from males in the rooms, but the sober emotional vulnerability and trust I have with my sponsor is special and could only be with a woman.