I'm Scared

I'm scared.

I've been sober awhile now. My friend isn't. I've been trying to help him get sober. I recommend that he abstains from alcohol on holidays. I don't want to put too much on him initially because he won't stick with it. But he wants to drink on Christmas. Over the years he gets more wasted Christmas than any other day. I have no idea what to do.

I have so much fear about his life.

I’m sorry you’re going through this, it’s definitely hard to watch. The only thing you can really do is be an example of sobriety. Do you go to meetings? Maybe take him along ? Christmas is tough for a lot of people :purple_heart:

Meetings aren't my thing- but I'll suggest them to him.

Tori meetings are important. Take it from someone who stays to himself. But I do go to meetings because they help. Just something to consider.

The holidays are especially tough and it’s easy to turn to alcohol to cope. If your friend is going to drink, unfortunately you can’t stop him. But you can do your best to be there for him. He’s lucky to have a friend who cares about him and can show him how worth it sobriety is. Sending you warmth and care!

Hey Tori, my heart goes out to you. It's tough to watch someone act destructively and not be able to help them. You just have to be a good example, and not sign off on their BS but you can't really preach to them either. I know for me personally, I wasn't able to accept help until I really wanted it, and I think that's a pretty common problem. Just don't let it affect your recovery no matter what. I know that might sound cold but I don't think there's much else you can do.