I wish there was non-beer league softball

I wish there was non-beer league softball. It is sorta weird coming to realize that entertainment in my adult life has always centered around drinking. Going out meant getting drinks. Going to a ballgame meant drinking in a $Billion stadium. Going to the movies? Let's make it the Alamo. Every thing I did, even if drinking didn't appear to be the focus, was in fact, largely a vessel for alcoholic intake. It is hard to think of anything I did as an adult, for the purposes of entertainment, that didn't involve alcohol. Anyway, when covid ends, I hope to find some recreational activities that are alcohol free but have a strong social aspect. Any recommendations?

2 Likes

You might look into church leagues for baseball. I know the local softball leagues here can't serve alcohol but nothing stops folks from bringing it. A church may be more incline to have sober leagues

3 Likes

I didn't even of that. That's a great idea. And you're right. I was with a league years ago that "prohibited" alcohol; which meant we kept the cooler outside the dugout. :confused:

I know what you mean. I can barely find events online with alcohol. I saw one that was about art. The event creator said we should relax with a glass of wine. Not tea, coffee, or anything else.

Pre-Covid we added sober events in our Boozeless Guides. As you can imagine, we have not been able to find many.

My friends and I take turns hosting a board game night with pizza. We also bowled together, too. I'm not sure how they did it- but a couple people I know had a virtual UNO game. It wasn't an online game. They used their computer camera to interact and each used their own deck.

1 Like

Virtual uno? I would really be curious to watch that unfold.

It's funny you mentioned bowling. That was always the, "let's get drunk, but pretend like we are doing something recreational" activity of my friends and I. :slight_smile:

But bowling sounds fun. And I remember a time I really enjoyed it before alcohol.

I feel like covid is calming down so we can start doing sober activities! We lost a lot of people due to covid and a lot more from addiction during these times of isolation. I hope to be able to gain the momentum of 2019 and our sober community. God bless you all

1 Like

Right like concert going, they say you have to sit in the silence, boredom just to get strong and minimize it's effect on your recovery. My middle name seem to be trouble, work hard play hard, but now living on the edge turned out to be not so much fun when i lost my freedoms. & everything else for that matter. I'm t

1 Like

Tired of running thank god! Now those walks

1 Like

By myself aren't so bad, working out, playing cards or, board games, coloring, cooking, ect. Lots of things i do w a movi

1 Like

My heart is broken knowing many lots the battle to the bottle. This needs to be fixed.

1 Like

I love to color, too. My mother-in-law purchased a coloring book for me.

My recommendation might be a little more work, but throughout my sobriety I’ve learned that if I find there is something missing that I feel others would enjoy too, I create it myself. Maybe look into starting a team or league , I know nothing about sports so have no idea how much effort that would take so I apologize in advance if this is a stupid idea lol

1 Like

It's not stupid at all. I think it's a really great idea. I spent 16 years of my professional life organizing large scale projects. I feel like I should, in theory, be able to organize a sober softball league.

1 Like

Look up Phoenix Sport! It’s built for people trying to stay sober and want to play sports!

2 Likes

The Phoenix gyms seem to have a lot of stuff going on.

Sounds like you’re the perfect person for the task actually lol

1 Like