I was off work for a few weeks for treatment

I was off work for a few weeks for treatment and just returned a little over a week ago. I just received an email from my boss, coincidentally, saying that in order for the Urgent Care that I work for to have medications and injections, the doctors designated to sign for the TDDD must know about all past legal and substance abuse issues. I have worked in Healthcare for 13 years and have never been asked to disclose this kind of information to the Drs I work for. Does anyone have knowledge about this?

I don't. Does your employer offer an EAP? If so, contact the number for legal support. I think you would get an hour free.

They do. I was thinking about legal and forgot they do have EAP til you mentioned it! Thanks!!

No problem. :grin:

I used to be a medical courier. They required addiction to be disclosed because we were often left alone with large amounts of narcotics.

This feels like a HIPPA violation- I would check with your local legal aid. If you have not tested positive for substances, I believe they can legally ask you to disclose. That is what drug testing is for. This is your personal health issue. HIPPA is federal and SU is highly protected.

1 Like