I want to quit drinking

I want to quit drinking... Just not sure what to do when I am good all day then I get home from work and make a drink. That moment when I make the decision to drink... Frustrating

3 Likes

Hi, Leigh. Why do you make a drink when y get home? I think finding that reason and finding alternatives to drinking will be beneficial?

1 Like

Relaxing hobbies help a lot. Reading, puzzles, drawing, just keeping your mind busy on something that you enjoy will help get you naturally mentally tired yet satisfied.

1 Like

Same here, don’t want to drink, But compulsion.

1 Like

Hey check your DM

Steps 4/5 were really important for me to figure out why I was poisoning myself after work (or during, thank you bottomless brunches). There’s an obsessive trait many of us struggle with and you’d be surprised who or what you are holding resentments about. We tend to continue the abuse of ourselves others have leveled at us for one reason or another.

1 Like

Hey Leigh, the key moment in addiction is 1) when the thought of the addictive behavior first comes to mind or 2) a decision to take an action that brings you closer to the addictive behavior (rather than a conscious thought about the addictive act itself).

This may be hours or even days before the addictive act occurs.

Catching the addictive process early is critical.

Clarifying the nature of the key moment will enable you to see what's about to happen in your life and give you time to understand the emotional factors producing your addictive behavior.

It allows time to think through alternative, more direct solutions before you're overwhelmed.

Remember, addiction is a common emotional symptom that can be mastered and controlled once its psychological nature is understood. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Because it understands my brain. Cigarettes taste good… I can slow the excessive thoughts…