I want to get sober because alcohol has become like

I want to get sober because drinking and recovering from drinking has become like a full time job. I drank a lot last week and missed a few deadlines and work meetings. I haven't been fired yet but I know if I keep this behavior up it's not going to end well. I think I need to go to rehab but I don't want everyone I work with to know. Has anyone had experience letting your employer know you need time off for rehab?

I’ve never had this experience but i think it’s best to be honest with your boss. Unless you can take a sabbatical or something. But tell your boss how private it has to be for you to actually recover. They may understand. Good luck!!

1 Like

Does your company allow FMLA leave? My company did not have that in place when I went for treatment. I requested the time off though. My boss didn't ask particulars, but he knew without me having to tell him. I was very afraid bringing it up, and it could have gone either way. He said that he was human and wanted to see me get better. This is clearly a scary thing to approach and everyone's circumstance and work relations are different. I wish you the best and hope for a successful outcome!

1 Like

My boss didn't disseminate my whereabouts. He told me if asked, to tell my colleagues I was absent for "personal matters", and to leave it to my discretion to reveal any other details - which I have not shared with colleagues

1 Like

So helpful, thank you so much!