I want a drink so bad. I’m on my 8th

I want a drink so bad. I’m on my 8th day. About to sit outside and normally I would have a twisted tea. Which of course would lead to another and another ad infinitum.

3 Likes

Don't do it. You are very clear about what will come next. Pivot and find something else to do and enjoy outside. I know it's challenging; it will get better. You are just figuring out new traditions, and you will find joy again outdoors. I drink sugar-free A&W root beer outside with a lot of ice. You can do it!

4 Likes

Thank you! I’m gonna try that’s for sure. Cherry Coke for me!

1 Like

Find a meeting

1 Like

Meetings aren’t my thing, at least not yet

1 Like

You 100% have this. Breaking a routine is *rough, but you already did it just by posting here, which is a power move. 8 days is amazing! You got this. Keep us posted; you’re not alone. :heart:

3 Likes

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! It does help feeling not alone.

And talk to me about that toad. You 100% win the Internet for that profile pic!

2 Likes

It was just sitting on my front walk!!!! Hilarious right?

1 Like

Just play the tape. And go grab a pint of ice cream instead.

1 Like

For me I had to try things that were outside of my comfort zone. Stay busy and keep up the good work. Sobriety get better.

1 Like

Well what I do now is reach out cause the weekends mess with my head

1 Like

Hello John
I’m doing really well. How’s it going today for you?

1 Like

It’s so much harder because at least during the week I have work to occupy most of my time

I went though that last night, didn’t drink. I feel great today. I was just thinking about what got me in that mood and I think it’s because I was hungry for a while then I ate and felt sleepy, wasn’t at home. I has an ice cold gingerale and went for a walk and played with my nieces then went home. Sorry for rambling

2 Likes

I didn’t drink! I feel good too! Thanks everyone for sharing!

1 Like

Yep. Definitely play the tape all the way through after that tea on the porch. Carefully pay attention to all those mornings feeling like death, the panic to remember what dumb shit you did the night before, the hurt people, maybe the legal problems… literally everything.

Good luck. Keep going!

1 Like

And I am just going to be frank, meetings need to be a thing if you want to keep it up. Sober community is one of the biggest tools in staying sober. Hearing you talk about how much harder it is on the weekend when you have free time is a big flag.

I tried to DIY my sobriety for 10 years and never made it more than a couple month. Finally someone told me the above in a very frank way. This time I’m sober 4 years. I was very adverse to AA. I’d gone a couple times and honestly they made me feel like “well, the people here are way more fucked up than me, I’m fine.”

My wise friend told me to go to a variety of meetings, different groups, different areas of town, even different programs like Recovery Dharma and Life Ring. Keep going and look for the similarities, not the differences.

I’m so grateful because I’ve made great friends and gotten great tools that I literally apply daily to stay clean and mentally balanced.

Best luck.

1 Like

Thank you for this. At first I thought you were going to get preachy and judgy but this actually helps and makes a lot of sense.

Right on. I’m glad it helped. And glad it didn’t come across as peachy. That is something else I still don’t vibe with in recovery people. But sometimes it’s helpful to be compassionately blunt.

Wishing you the best as you keep going down the road.

1 Like