I’ve been abstaining from

I’ve been abstaining from Alcohol for nearly 9 months. Spring and summer are my favorite seasons to get out and make friends. Last summer I was pretty isolated for several reasons. This summer, I want to get out. I keep thinking about how fun it is to see live music and meet people. I used to do that a lot, but it’s so much easier to do after a few drinks. Anyone deal with social anxiety in an effective way without your substance of choice?

2 Likes

I can definitely relate to both of y'all on this. I've always had a massive amount of social anxiety that would magically go away with just my first drink. It's so much different for me now to be around people who I only hung out with before to have drinks. Very strange for me... But, I wouldn't trade my sobriety for anything!

1 Like

And as far as an effective way to deal with my social anxiety, I've never found a method that helps that didn't involve using a substance. That being said, my anxiety surely sucks, but I'll take it over using any day.

1 Like

I’m worried about this too. I have a friend’s birthday party to attend tomorrow and she knows what I’ve been going through so I know she will be supportive for sure, but I am worried if others will question why I’m not drinking. Also not looking forward to dealing with social anxiety without having a drink in me.

1 Like

Yes indeed. I don’t know a good time yet without drinking so I have to learn how that’s done

1 Like