I need to say this for my own good

I need to say this for my own good. I have 35 years of sobriety. But after going through rehab and I got alcohol crisis center after rehab. Then I went into a halfway house. And from there I went to a supportive living program. Between the rehab and supportive living program was roughly 5 years For all the programs that I went through. I was going to meetings group sessions counseling while doing all this. I went to meetings for another five years and just stopped. Never used a drink again and I still have it. Things are getting rough for me. And I was starting to feel like I wanted to drink and I still do. And that’s why I’ve been looking for this kind of a program in the app. I’ve heard lotta good things from people on this app and I hope to continue hearing those things. Also I wanna do is not drink today. And I know it’s take it one day at a time. And I do take a one day at a time. I love being sober there’s nothing better than that. But the last five years I had a lot of bad things happen. My wife passed away. Three months after that I was diagnosed with COPD chronic heart failure and diabetes. And on top of that this pandemic that came through. And the best thing of all through all this I have not picked up a drink. And I don’t plan to at least just for today. This is the first time that I’ve told anybody that I quit going to meetings quit going to therapy and get away with all the phone numbers that I had for people in AA. I’m just grateful that my wife who drank when I met her stop drinking just for me.

3 Likes

Hi Kelly. I’m sorry. You are right- it’s 1 day at a time. If you feel like drinking again please find re-evaluate. Complete the thought. You’ve been sober 35 years. That’s awesome. Please don’t allow anything to take that away from you.

I’m grateful you’ve shared this with us.

Please take care of your health. We want you alive and well.

Thank you for sharing this. I am sorry to here you lost your wife. That sounds like such a strong love for her to quit as well with you.

I'm glad you are here and also finding this community helpful! One day at a time is a trusted cliché for a reason. It works!