I need help and support. I feel like I can’t

I need help and support. I feel like I can’t control myself and I need to quit for good. I am back to day 1 again. It stinks when you feel like your family does not help. I can’t live like this. I have sleepless nights and they are awful. Anyone here have any tips. How do I stay concentrated on my goal to not drink again? How do I socialize?
I need to focus on what I want and rebuke that devil but need friends and new family that can support me.

2 Likes

Hey Melissa, I've been on Day 1 hundreds (maybe thousands) of times, felt like I couldn't control myself, and my family was no help at all. So, I can relate to how you feel.

Here are a few tips for better sleep:

- Hot bath/shower before getting into bed

- Progressive muscle relaxation (PMR), nighttime yoga, or stretching

- Aromatherapy candles

- Meditate

- Hypnotherapy session for sleep

- Binaural beats

Also, magnesium, l-theanine, skullcap, CBD, and kava are a few supplements that might help improve your sleep quality/quantity. (I'm not a doctor, and this isn't medical advice. If you're currently being treated by a physician or other healthcare practitioner for any condition or disease, please consult with that provider before changing or modifying any treatment program.)

Next, many people confuse means goals with end goals. Quitting alcohol is a means goal. Why do you want to quit drinking alchohol? How will your life be different? When you know your end goal, you can focus on what you want (i.e., peace, joy, fulfillment) instead of what you don't want (i.e., alcohol). The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.

Finally, you don't need alcohol to socialize. Trust me, I had social anxiety and used alcohol (and other drugs) to socialize all the time, but now I'm more social and confident than I've ever been. If you don't know what to say when meeting new people or socializing with people you already know, just ask them questions. People love to talk about themselves. Ask them about their family, what they do for recreation, their occupation, and/or their goals. FROG is a simple acronym to remember these 4 topics.

I hope this was helpful for you. If you want to talk more about these things, just let me know. Keep making progress! :facepunch:

For me, I had to pretty much replace all habits that were connected to drinking with new habits that weren’t. I called another sober person or went to a meeting whenever I was about to do something out of habit that related to alcohol like go out to a bar, stop at the liq store, make a drink, order a beer, etc.