I’m new to recovery. Looking to find ways to deflect

I’m new to recovery. Need ways to get through that impulse and urge to make a drink when I get home from work. Interested in hearing about new hobbies. I’m finding gardening is relaxing.

2 Likes

That’s a great suggestion. I have been going to club soda with lemon and lime. Sometimes cranberry juice.

1 Like

San Pellegrino for me

1 Like

I can definitely crush cans of soda water. I try to avoid actual sodas but I'll have a Pepsi every once in a while

Think of something that you've always wanted to do and take the money you'd have used on alcohol and slowly start building to that goal. For me it was building my bedroom music studio. Every bit of equipment was an endorphin rush.

2 Likes

Coffee originally was my go-to. I can’t drink coffee any more, even decaf because even the tiniest amount of caffeine has a negative effect on my a-fib.
I don’t know if you’re a beer drinker, but there are a couple of really good 0.0% alcohol beers on the market now. One by Budweiser and one by Heineken. I love the taste of beer, especially with certain food like pizza and hamburgers. This satisfies my craving for the taste of beer. I also like the sparkling waters because I like the carbonation.

1 Like

Coffee gives me anxiety. I have enough of that which takes me to drinking. I’ve reduced coffee intake quite a bit. I’ll have to check out the 0% beers. For now I’m glad not to be craving it except in stressful situations. Everything has passed by the next day. Thankfully

1 Like

I will check it out!

I drink seltzer with lemonade. Bout half and half mix. Gardening is a great relaxer for me. It is almost meditative.

2 Likes