I’m new here and looking for an alternative to AA

I’m new here and looking for an alternative to AA. Not sure if this is the right place as I’m not looking to date or anything. How does this work?

1 Like

People suggest smartrecovery.org but aa works for me, as it has for millions and millions like me, so that’s my program.

Hey you could also check out refuge recovery, it’s a Buddhist model

1 Like

I’m new also. Not sure how this works

I go to smart recovery and AA meetings, and both are great experiences, though I tend to zone out when the Jesus stuff comes along

2 Likes

Why would you be looking for an alternative to aa? My suggestion would be to thoroughly give it a shot. Even if you don’t buy into the god themes the way many do.

Aa makes you go after the root of the problem: yourself.

Celebrate recovery is a good option

I went into AA almost 30 years ago. They had a lot of suggestions back then for how to handle AA and the spiritual side. Just find anything that's a little bigger than you. An ocean wave a mountain top and a whole bunch of other things. Some people even suggested a doorknob. I came in and didn't want to believe in anything. Gradually and slowly I began to change. I did my steps and got a sponsor and did them all in order 1 through 12. I had help all along from all kinds of people some without a spiritual program some with. I did what they said I had had enough of the way I ran the show. And boy did I run the show. I'm really getting excited about having my birthday coming up. The program has been magnificent for me. I heard someone on here said to go to both smart recovery and AA. Gives you both sides. I hope whatever happens you find your way to clean and sober. One day at a time. Thanks Deborah

1 Like