I just got

My name is Dave and I'm an alcoholic.

I just got on this app about a week ago. I've noticed that there's a lot of people out here looking to get into relationships with other clean and sober people. I had a sponsor back in 2003 that I owe a lot to. He encouraged me to stay out of relationships for an indefinite period of time and set out to learn about myself. Because up until that time I had never really lived in any residence for any significant period of time, paid my own bills and simply learned who I was. I learned at that time that I was codpendant and I really didn't have anything to offer the opposite sex. It seems for all those years of drinking I had so many evictions and so many shut-off notices. I don't have that problem anymore. I've been married now for almost 2 years and she is the best decision that I ever made next to my decision to stop drinking. I think getting into relationships in early sobriety is a very bad decision for any alcoholic or addict. Most people at that stage are co-dependent too but are not willing to admit it.

I totally get this approach because I was there once too. I really thought that I knew what real love was back then but I didn't have a clue in the world. I thought it was all about necking and having sex and it didn't really have anything to do with that at all. My wife and I did something that most people don't do these days because it seems to be the norm. We never as much as slept together until we got married.

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
January 6
A.A. Thought For The Day
Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life depends on that one thing. Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?