I feel like I’m drowning

I am a functioning alcoholic. I am 36 and feel 58. I never drink on the job and I spend every minute I’m not working with my kids/family. Don’t have friends or many support systems out there. Ive been to rehab 7 years ago for opiates which i don’t take anymore. While there i went through all the therapists, NA, AA and different therapies so i have a basic understanding of recovery. While in rehab they informed me that i was ADD and prescribed me high doses of Adderrall. I progressively went through the meds faster and now i go through that in a week every month. In rehab i learned that group therapy and public speaking doesn’t work for me (AA or NA) Im starting to notice drastic declines in my health, weight, work relationships, marriage and family. I feel like I’m drowning and honestly don’t know what to do. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks.

Hey Sean. I’m sorry you’re going through it right now. Everyone’s story is different, but I can relate to the feelings you’re describing here. And I know how much it sucks/hurts.

While AA/NA (most any 12-step program) is probably exactly the same as you left it 7 years ago, I will say that the science of addiction and our overall understanding of recovery methods has evolved significantly since then.

I know this because I got sober 4 years ago, and in that time there has been major changes (for the better, I think) in the world of recovery.

I’m very surprised that the rehab you went to prescribed adderal when you were early on in recovery. Although, as someone who is also diagnosed with ADHD (on the more severe end of the spectrum)

1 Like

I also understand that stimulants are the most effective form of treatment for us so that we can even attempt to live a functioning existence. That being said, I think it’s super important to work with a therapist/psychiatrist who is trained in neurodivergency AND substance abuse issues because when you’re comorbid (like we both are) you have to be very careful about which condition you’re treating and with what.

1 Like

If you’re sobriety isn’t in a good place or your substance abuse issues are acting up, there’s a very good chance you’ll abuse your ADHD meds like you already mentioned. That’s why it’s important to work with someone who understands both conditions.

But ultimately, you’re probably going to need to get sober from everything for a decent amount of time before you’re ready to go back on any type of narcotic (adderal) for your ADHD. In the meantime, you can maybe get prescribed a non-addictive alternative

1 Like

If you’re not into AA/NA that’s fine. But try something else. SMART recovery. Refuge Recovery. The Luckiest Club. Recovery 2.0. Pick one and start digging .... hope this helps

1 Like

Thank you so much for reaching out. That was very helpful and informative. I will have to do some research on them. I have’t heard of most of them. I find that when your in denial about addiction it tends to steer you away from keeping yourself aware of helpful programs. I know i have a problem/addiction but I just feels like its hard to know where to begin with a recovery plan/process. You have made that road much clearer for me and gave me some direction. Thanks for that!

You’re very welcome!

One way to get information quickly is to check out the telehelp section on the sobriety help page. You can call and talk to professionals who know all the current options.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! Its amazing how far recovery has changed in 7 years with technology and of course now covid. Apts. and therapy sessions are done through video calls and there are apps with communities that point you in the right direction.

Side note: is it just me or it extremely difficult to use the keyboard in this app? The keyboard covers the text box and doesn’t rotate over. Am i missing something?

Thanks for the advise. It is greatly appreciated!