I don’t know if I’m an alcoholic

I don’t know if I’m an alcoholic. Some days I don’t drink at all. Other days I drink a whole bottle of wine. I just can’t seem to stop at one glass. But then I feel like crap and so guilty. Any opinions?

1 Like

I can completely relate! That’s my issue too - moderation.

1 Like

I can relate. I'm a binge drinker. I would go days, weeks without drinking. Then when I would decide I wanted to, I would drink alot more than most other people. “One is to many, a thousand is never enough.” Only you can come to the realization if your an alcoholic. For myself, others would always tell me I was till one day I realized.. I was and am.

1 Like

What is that?

I think you need to be honest with yourself and you will know your truth, but here a quick start resource: https://www.aa.org/pages/en_us/is-aa-for-you-twelve-questions-only-you-can-answer

Hey Maggie, the following questionnaire will help you determine if you have a true addiction.

Although the questions are about drinking alcohol, they apply just as well to other addictive behaviors.

1. Do I drink sometimes when I really don't want alcohol, but feel I have to do something, and there seems nothing else I can do to relieve my tension? (This question focuses on the compulsion to redress a feeling of helplessness that underlies true addictions.)

2. Even if I like drinking, is there an intensity to my drinking — a kind of grim determination — that can't be explained by liking it? Do I sometimes feel I "have to have a drink"? (This focuses on the difference between the deep compulsion of true addictions versus the more superficial feelings underlying a habit or a purely conscious decision to perform a particular act.)

3. If I'm blocked from drinking by circumstances or by another person, do I become unusually angry? (This addresses the rage at helplessness in the psychology of addiction.)

4. Do I feel better just knowing I'm going to have a drink, even before I drink it? (This addresses the fact that true addiction is a psychological, not a physical process.)

5. Are there certain situations that I know will lead me to drink (not physical situations like walking into a bar, but emotional situations like feeling frustrated, defeated, or helpless, or trapped into doing something that I feel I "should" do)? (This asks about emotional precipitants of the psychological process that underlies addiction.)

6. If I can't get a drink quickly, do I sometimes substitute another activity (taking a different drug or gambling or eating) that feels as if it's accomplishing the same thing? (This focuses on the displacement nature of true addiction.)

7. Does my drinking seem to substitute for a relationship with a person — for instance, do I tend to drink if I'm lonely? (This is one particular form of the psychology of addiction in which alcohol appears to replace a longed-for or needed person who was lost or never available.)

8. Do I drink when I feel bad about myself? (This is another form of helplessness that may underlie the drive toward addictive behavior.)

9. Does drinking seem to solve emotional problems, at least while I'm doing it? (This is another way of asking about the psychological nature of the behavior.)

10. Does drinking help me feel more in control of my feelings and my life, at least while I'm doing it? (This focuses on the restoration of power against powerlessness in true addiction.)

Of course, none of these questions are absolute and they're not meant for diagnosing yourself. However, if you find that as a whole they apply to your drinking (or any other behaviors that you're concerned about), then you may have a psychological addiction.

1 Like

I don't know if you have a big book but if you have a big book I would suggest that you start by reading bill story and the doctors opinion that's what I did in order to find out who I was I had to get into the book and start reading it and if you can relate to that then you might just be an alcoholic

1 Like

Honestly, most of the time when I drink wine, it’s because I’m bored. Does that count as addictive behavior?

Hey Maggie! Well, in my opinion, addiction is compulsive behavior despite adverse consequences. I also define it as emotional immaturity or as a response to suffering. That said, if boredom is your primary trigger, why do you think it causes you to drink? Take some time to really think about it. Boredom can be a good thing. It can be a catalyst for change and an opportunity for reflection. I'm not a doctor, but based on my research, personal experiences, and client feedback, when boredom leads to substance use or any other addictive behavior, it's usually because of fear. The fear of emptiness or the fear of facing your thoughts and feelings. Most of us have a web of unhelpful beliefs ("I'm not good enough," "I'm not worthy," "I'm not important," "I'm not capable," etc.) that cause our unpleasant emotions. These unpleasant emotions prompt us to get drunk or high because we want to escape that discomfort and feel a sense of control over our lives. But how can we ever understand our mental/emotional states (e.g. boredom) if we're always running away from them? Ultimately, addiction is a common emotional symptom that can be mastered and controlled once its psychological nature is understood. Finally, you're not an "alcoholic." That's just a BS label. You're an awesome human being. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was there and it took an “experience” to make me realize, yep, I am not doing the things I’m supposed to. Now I’m here 40 days later.

Big book says. If u have no control after the 1st drink then you r an alke admittance is a must do

Has alcohol made your life unmanageable?

Hi, Maggie. If you’re feeling guilty you gotta change. You sound like you want a change. Have you thought about attending meeting?

Have you ever gotten drunk without your own permission?

i used to be the same way I could go weeks or months without drinking but when I did I couldn’t not control myself at all. I‘d drink a bottle of vodka alongside a 6 pack of beers no problem! You don’t have to drink every day to be an alcoholic. But only you can decide this for yourself :blush:

Hello Maggie. I was one who didn't know if I was an alcoholic either. There were days when I wouldn't drink and then there were days where I could go drink almost an entire 1.5 bottle of wine and I had to get drunk. I learned there are different kinds of alcoholics and I fell into the moderate category. I realized my drinking interfered with my life; this is when I went to my first meeting. You are the only one who can decide if you're an alcoholic. I usually say to sit in on a meeting, and see if you find any similarities with the words being spoken; you don't have to speak if you don't want to. Also, continue reaching out!